Skip to main content

graphics - How to make a tight crop of a 3d plot?


I like Mathematica, but it's syntax baffles me.


I am trying to figure out how to minimize the whitespace around a graphic.


For example,



ParametricPlot3D[{r Cos[t], r Sin[t], r^2}, {r, 0, 1}, {t, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, 
Boxed -> True, Axes -> False]

3d bounding box on


Puts the 3d bounding box at the limits of the view. But if I don't show the 3d bounding box,


3d bounding box on


ParametricPlot3D[{r Cos[t], r Sin[t], r^2}, {r, 0, 1}, {t, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, 
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False]

3d bounding box off



there is all this white space around the actual object.


Is there some way (syntax) that can put the view just around the visible objects?



Ok, from the below answers, I have two solutions; 1) use ImageCrop, or 2) use Method->{"ShrinkWrap" -> True}. However both of these options do a little something strange to the plot I want (maybe it is just a problem with the plot itself).


So the actual plot I am after is,


Module[{r = 1, \[Theta] = \[Pi]/2, \[CurlyPhi] = \[Pi]/6, \[Psi] = \[Pi]/12},
Framed@Show[
Graphics3D[
{
{Arrowheads[.025],

Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {1.1, 0, 0}}], Text["x", {1.2, 0, 0}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 1.1, 0}}], Text["y", {0, 1.2, 0}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1.1}}], Text["z", {0, 0, 1.2}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, r {Cos[\[Theta]] Sin[\[CurlyPhi]],
Sin[\[Theta]] Sin[\[CurlyPhi]], Cos[\[CurlyPhi]]}}]},
{Specularity[White, 50], Opacity[.1], Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, r]}
},
Boxed -> False,
ImageSize -> 600,
PlotRange -> 1.1 {{-r, r}, {-r, r}, {0, r}}

]]
]

enter image description here


Which has too much whitespace. If I replace Framed@Show[ with Framed@ImageCrop@Show[ I get, enter image description here


which actually crops some of the (hemi)sphere. If just use Method -> {"ShrinkWrap" -> True}, in the Show options, I get,


Mathematica graphics


which looks almost correct, but the x and z textboxes have now not included. Seems like I can't win!



Answer



Actually, there isn't white space at all:



Show[RegionPlot3D[True, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, 0, 1}, 
PlotStyle -> Directive[Yellow, Opacity[0.5]], Mesh -> None,
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRangePadding -> 0],
ParametricPlot3D[{r Cos[t], r Sin[t], r^2}, {r, 0, 1}, {t, 0, 2 Pi} ]]

Mathematica graphics


Edit


If you want to crop the image in 2D:


p = ParametricPlot3D[{r Cos[t], r Sin[t], r^2}, {r, 0, 1}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, 
Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotRangePadding -> 0];

Framed@ImageCrop@p

Mathematica graphics


Edit


For your plot. Use .2 as Opacity. It has been reported elsewhere in this site that lowering the opacity too much makes other functions unable to detect the object.


Module[{r = 
1, \[Theta] = \[Pi]/2, \[CurlyPhi] = \[Pi]/6, \[Psi] = \[Pi]/12},
Framed@ImageCrop@Show[
Graphics3D[
{{Specularity[White, 50], Opacity[.2],

Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, r]}, {Arrowheads[.025],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {1.1, 0, 0}}], Text["x", {1.2, 0, 0}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 1.1, 0}}], Text["y", {0, 1.2, 0}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1.1}}], Text["z", {0, 0, 1.2}],
Arrow[{{0, 0, 0},
r {Cos[\[Theta]] Sin[\[CurlyPhi]],
Sin[\[Theta]] Sin[\[CurlyPhi]], Cos[\[CurlyPhi]]}}]}},
Boxed -> False, ImageSize -> 600,
PlotRange -> 1.1 {{-r, r}, {-r, r}, {0, r}}]]]


Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?