Skip to main content

dynamic - DynamicModule, SaveDefinitions and global functions




Unfortunately, I had not checked stackoverflow, because there, the exact same behavior was already reported. Please see the Q&A "SaveDefinitions considered dangerous".




Up-front, I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 with Mathematica 9.0.1 and let's start with the questions:




  • Should functions which are used in a Manipulate be local to this dynamic cell, when I save them withSaveDefinitions`?

  • Is it OK, that after a kernel-restart Manipulate defines global functions?


I noticed this behavior a while ago when something did not work as I expected it. Here is a small toy example. First we define a function, which (we assume we don't know this now) is not correct and will be fixed later:


f[x_?NumericQ] := "Wrong Implementation";

Now we make a small dynamic environment where we use this function and we save the definitions used there.


Manipulate[f[x] + x, {x, 0, 1}, SaveDefinitions -> True]

Sliding a bit around gives the correct output:



Mathematica graphics


Now, we notice our error in f, because (let's say) f is going to work even when we don't have numeric values. Therefore, we fix the pattern and evaluate


ClearAll[f]
f[x_] := "Correct Implementation!"

this redefinition is instantly shown in the Manipulate, which is kind of weird, because we explicitly told Mathematica to save the definition and let me cite the documentation: SaveDefinition...



is an option to Manipulate and related functions that specifies whether current definitions relevant for the evaluation of the expression being manipulated should automatically be saved.



Mathematica graphics



There is even more, because when you now Quit[] the kernel and then do nothing else that move the slider, you see that now the first definition is used again and the output changes to "Wrong Implementation". This seems fine, because Manipulate finally remembers what is should have saved.


However, this is not what broke my neck. What really took time to debug was that the wrong definition of f is leaked into the global context:


f[3]

(* "Wrong Implementation" *)

The problem back then, when I had this issue, was that although I evaluated the correct definition,


f[x_] := "Correct Implementation!"

the other one was used, because its pattern was more specific.



f[3]

(* "Wrong Implementation" *)

Any comments?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...