Skip to main content

plotting - Lagrange Multiplier


We are asked to maximize and minimize $f(x,y)=4xy$, given the constraint $4x^2+y^2=8$, using the Lagrange Multiplier method. First, I enter the functions f and g.



f = 4 x*y;
g = 4 x^2 + y^2 - 8;

Then I solve using the Lagrange Multiplier method.


sols = Solve[{Grad[f, {x, y}] == λ Grad[g, {x, y}], 
g == 8}, {x, y, λ}]

Which gives this output.


   {{x -> -1, y -> -2, λ -> 1}, {x -> -1, 
y -> 2, λ -> -1}, {x -> 1,

y -> -2, λ -> -1}, {x -> 1, y -> 2, λ -> 1}}

I can then create the points to investigate.


{x, y} /. sols

Which gives this output.


{{-1, -2}, {-1, 2}, {1, -2}, {1, 2}}

Now I can evaluate f at each point.


f /. sols


Which gives this output.


{8, -8, -8, 8}

So, I have maximum values of 8 at the points $(-1,-2)$ and $(1,2)$, and minimum values of $-8$ at the points $(-2,2)$ and $(1,-2)$. Now, this can be visualized with the following image.


ContourPlot[f, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -3, 3},
Contours -> Range[-10, 10],
Mesh -> {{0}}, MeshFunctions -> Function[{x, y}, g],
MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Yellow],
Epilog -> {Red, PointSize[Large], Point[{x, y}] /. sols}]


function and extrema


Now, my question. I want to use the Lagrange multiplier technique to maximize $f(x,y,z)=xyz$ subject to the constraint $x^2+10y^2+z^2=5$.


f = x y z;
g = x^2 + 10 y^2 + z^2;
sols = Solve[{Grad[f, {x, y, z}] == λ Grad[g, {x, y, z}],
g == 5}, {x, y, z, λ}];
{x, y, z} /. sols

Gives the following output.



{{0, 0, -Sqrt[5]}, {0, 0, Sqrt[5]}, {0, -(1/Sqrt[2]), 0}, {0, 1/Sqrt[
2], 0}, {-Sqrt[(5/3)], -(1/Sqrt[6]), -Sqrt[(5/3)]}, {-Sqrt[(5/
3)], -(1/Sqrt[6]), Sqrt[5/3]}, {-Sqrt[(5/3)], 1/Sqrt[
6], -Sqrt[(5/3)]}, {-Sqrt[(5/3)], 1/Sqrt[6], Sqrt[5/3]}, {Sqrt[5/
3], -(1/Sqrt[6]), -Sqrt[(5/3)]}, {Sqrt[5/3], -(1/Sqrt[6]), Sqrt[5/
3]}, {Sqrt[5/3], 1/Sqrt[6], -Sqrt[(5/3)]}, {Sqrt[5/3], 1/Sqrt[6],
Sqrt[5/3]}, {-Sqrt[5], 0, 0}, {Sqrt[5], 0, 0}}

And we can evaluate f at each of these points.


f /. sols


{0, 0, 0, 0, -(5/(3 Sqrt[6])), 5/(3 Sqrt[6]), 5/(
3 Sqrt[6]), -(5/(3 Sqrt[6])), 5/(
3 Sqrt[6]), -(5/(3 Sqrt[6])), -(5/(3 Sqrt[6])), 5/(3 Sqrt[6]), 0, 0}

So it appears that I have a maximum value of $\dfrac{5}{3\sqrt6}$ at four separate points and a minimum value of $-\dfrac{5}{3\sqrt6}$ at four separate points.


So, it appears I can do this part. The part I need help with is the image. Is it possible to produce contour surfaces of f and show where the constraint $g(x,y,z)=5$ touches a level surface of f at the minimum and maximum points?


Or, one image that shows touches at the maximum points and a second image that shows touches at the minimum points?



Answer



Here is a visualization using MeshFunctions (as mentioned by Daniel in the comment):



f = x y z;
g = x^2 + 10 y^2 + z^2;

gp = With[{r = 3},
RegionPlot3D[g < 5, {x, -r, r}, {y, -r, r}, {z, -r, r},
PlotStyle -> Orange, PlotPoints -> 40, Mesh -> None,
ViewPoint -> Front, PlotTheme -> "Classic"]
];

With[{r = 3}, Manipulate[

Show[gp,
ContourPlot3D[x y z == n, {x, -r, r}, {y, -r, r}, {z, -r, r},
PlotPoints -> 40,
Mesh -> {{5}},
MeshFunctions -> Function[{x, y, z}, g],
MeshStyle -> {Thick, Blue},
ContourStyle -> Opacity[.5], PlotTheme -> "Classic"], PlotLabel -> Row[{"x y z = ", n}]],
{n, 0.5, 1}]]

manipulate



I did it as a Manipulate so you can show the intersection using time as the additional variable that isolates the solution when the blue circle degenerates to a point. In principle one could also replace this by a Table of surfaces for different values of n in x y z == n, all displayed together with Show. You could also adjust the ViewPoint to your liking, to exhibit the shape of the contour for g from a different perspective.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...