Skip to main content

customization - Preserving changed Output style


Let's say I have a stylesheet with two slightly different "Output" and "Output2" styles.



"Input" generates "Output" which can be switched with "Output2" using Tab/Backspace.


The problem is that "Output2" is replaced with "Output" if you evaluate input again. I'd like to preserve changed style.


Unfortunately there is not much flexibility/documentation for GeneratedCellStyles


I have a solution but my approach looks ugly because one has to deal with exceptions like Input being the last cell in the notebook or protecting other styles which follow Input.


So the question is:


Is there something I've missed in cell/notebook options? Can my code be improved in any way?


The solution needs to work from a stylesheet level.


My approach


The fix is to use CellProlog/CellEpilog for "Input" style.


CreateDocument[

{ ExpressionCell[Defer[1 + 1], "Input"]
, ExpressionCell[2, "Output2"]
}
, StyleDefinitions -> Notebook[
{ Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]]
, Cell[StyleData["Output"]
, StyleKeyMapping -> {"Tab" -> "Output2"}]
, Cell[StyleData["Output2", StyleDefinitions -> StyleData["Output"] (*1*)]
, Background -> RGBColor[1, 0, 1]
, StyleKeyMapping -> {"Backspace" -> "Output"}

]
, Cell[ (*here starts the solution*)
StyleData["Input"]
, CellProlog :> SetOptions[ (*2*)
EvaluationCell[]
, TaggingRules -> {"OutputStyle" -> Module[{nc = NextCell[], style}
, Which[
nc === None
, Inherited
, MemberQ[{"Output2"}

, style = ("Style" /. Developer`CellInformation[nc] (*3*))
]
, style
, True
, Inherited
]
]}]
, CellEpilog :> Module[
{ nc = NextCell[]
, style = CurrentValue[EvaluationCell[], {TaggingRules, "OutputStyle"}]

}
, Which[
Or[nc === None, style === Inherited]
, Null
, True
, SelectionMove[nc, All, Cell, AutoScroll -> False]
; FrontEndTokenExecute[EvaluationNotebook[], "Style", style](*4*)
; SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], After, Cell]
]
]

]
}
]
]

Refs





  1. Is there a way to base one style on another?





  2. SetOptions because of Notebook's TaggingRules inherit too much




  3. How can I get the style of selected cells?




  4. Set the style of a cell






Answer



Here's an improvement. We can drop CellEpilog and set "GeneratedCellStyles" from CellProlog using old code.


CreateDocument[
{ ExpressionCell[Defer[1 + 1], "Input"]
, ExpressionCell[2, "Output2"]
}
, StyleDefinitions -> Notebook[
{ Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]]
, Cell[StyleData["Output"]

, StyleKeyMapping -> {"Tab" -> "Output2"}
]
, Cell[StyleData["Output2", StyleDefinitions -> StyleData["Output"] (*1*)]
, Background -> RGBColor[1, 0, 1]
, StyleKeyMapping -> {"Backspace" -> "Output"}
]
, Cell[StyleData["Input"]
, CellProlog :> SetOptions[
EvaluationCell[]
, "GeneratedCellStyles" -> {

"Output" -> Module[{nc = NextCell[]}
, Which[
nc === None, Inherited
, "Output2" === ("Style" /. Developer`CellInformation[nc]), "Output2"
, True, Inherited
]
]
}
]
]

}
]
]

I set the option for EvaluationCell so that in case of Abort it won't affect the whole notebook.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...