Skip to main content

Fitting piecewise functions


I have several large data sets which follow the following pattern: A position is measured, a force is applied until a new equilibrium is found.

I'd like to find a fit for the position, at least at the plateaus, and preferably of the inter lying section, which in this case approaches a line.
I tried fitting the data with Clip, and with Piecewise.


nlm = NonlinearModelFit[v40s1000h,Piecewise[{{a, x < A}, {b, x > B}}], {a, b, A, B, c, d}, x]  

This creates a decent fit only if I specify the values for A and B, but then I have to estimate those values for each data set manually. It also doesn't really work to just add NMinimize, or add the piecewise part for the middle bit.
Is There anything else I can try?


Setting the A to 200 and B to 250 works decently.


http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=35616536027018518052 << file



Answer



As usual, it's a matter of choosing a better starting values for the parameters.



I started writing this answer before the data file was uploaded, so here's some synthetic data:


data = Table[
Interpolation[{{0, 1.1*^-6}, {200, 1.1*^-6}, {250, 9.5*^-7}, {500,
9.5*^-7}}, x, InterpolationOrder -> 1] +
2*^-8 RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[]], {x, 0, 500}];
ListPlot[data]

enter image description here


As @nikie suggested in the comments, you should define your model to return something in the intermediate values. I'll use a linear transition because that seems to match your data.


f[x_] := Piecewise[{{a, x < xa}, {a + (b - a) (x - xa)/(xb - xa), xa <= x < xb}, {b, xb <= x}}]


Now we do the fit:


fit = NonlinearModelFit[data, f[x], {a, b, xa, xb}, x];
fit // Normal // InputForm
(* Piecewise[{{1., x < 1.}, {1.016964195743597*^-6, 1. <= x}}, 0] *)

No good. Why? The documentation for NonlinearModelFit says "give starting values when parameters are far from the default value 1". Let's try that.


fit = NonlinearModelFit[data, f[x], {a, b, {xa, 100}, {xb, 200}}, x];
fit // Normal // InputForm
(* Piecewise[{{1.1004729741760495*^-6, x < 200.73035367387615},

{1.1004729741760495*^-6 - 2.914483888454594*^-9*(-200.73035367387615 + x),
200.73035367387615 <= x < 253.00000699926912},
{9.481339117040847*^-7, 253.00000699926912 <= x}}, 0] *)

That's better.


Show[ListPlot[data], Plot[fit[x], {x, 0, 500}, PlotStyle -> {Red, Thick}]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...