Skip to main content

plotting - How can we plot the complex roots of an equation?


If we'd like to display the $n$ roots of a polynomial on the complex plane as points, how can we do this? For example, if we have the equation $x^3 + x^2 + x + 1$, how can we plot the 3 roots as points in the complex plane?


There's more. We can suppose that we're given a range of the coefficients for an $n$th degree polynomial:


$$f(x) = c_0 x^0 + c_1 x^1 + c_2 x^2 + \dots + c_n x^n$$


Here all $c_k$ values for $0 \le k \le n$ range from $r \le c_k \le s,\, c_k \in \mathbb{Z}$. I'd like to plot all possible roots for all possible polynomials on the same graph, given these constraints. In other words, we're given the parameters $n$, $r$, and $s$. I'd like to plot all possible roots of the polynomials that meet these conditions on the same plot.


One more thing, and this is probably the most important. I'm wondering if we can use a color scheme for the plot. For example, we can use a gray scale, indicating the number of times a root appears. If the same root appears often (i.e. $x=1$), then the root appears dark on the plot. If the same root only appears once, then it should be barely visible. CAN WE DO THIS?



NOTE


I don't want to plot the polynomials -- I just want to plot their roots. I want to make the roots darker the more times they appear, and lighter if they don't appear often.



Answer



You can make plots sort of like this:


enter image description here


Or this:


enter image description here


Or this:


enter image description here


...by taking advantage of Image and Fourier using the following code. The plots will have a brightness proportional to the multiplicity of the root, and you can change the colors, convolution properties, etc., although it doesn't provide axes (you'll have to figure that out yourself).



SetSystemOptions[
"SparseArrayOptions" -> {"TreatRepeatedEntries" -> 1}];
\[Gamma] = 0.12;
\[Beta] = 1.0;
fLor = Compile[{{x, _Integer}, {y, _Integer}}, (\[Gamma]/(\[Gamma] +
x^2 + y^2))^\[Beta], RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable},
CompilationTarget -> "C"];
<< Developer`
$PlotComplexPoints[list_, magnification_, paddingX_, paddingY_,
brightness_] :=

Module[{RePos =
paddingX + 1 + Round[magnification (# - Min[#])] &[Re[list]],
ImPos = paddingY + 1 + Round[magnification (# - Min[#])] &[
Im[list]], sparse, lor, dimX, dimY}, dimX = paddingX + Max[RePos];
dimY = paddingY + Max[ImPos];
Image[(brightness Sqrt[dimX dimY] Abs[
InverseFourier[
Fourier[SparseArray[
Thread[{ImPos, RePos}\[Transpose] ->
ConstantArray[1, Length[list]]], {dimY, dimX}]] Fourier[

RotateRight[
fLor[#[[All, All, 1]], #[[All, All, 2]]] &@
Outer[List, Range[-Floor[dimY/2], Floor[(dimY - 1)/2]],
Range[-Floor[dimX/2], Floor[(dimX - 1)/2]]], {Floor[
dimY/2],
Floor[dimX/2]}]]]])\[TensorProduct]ToPackedArray[{1.0,
0.3, 0.1}], Magnification -> 1]]

You can test it out on a list of 5000 random complex numbers like this:


$PlotComplexPoints[RandomComplex[{-1 - I, 1 + I}, 5000], 300, 20, 20, 10]


which produces this (actual image quality will be slightly better):


enter image description here


Or for a more interesting example, here's a plot of the roots of a random 150-degree polynomial:


expr = Evaluate@Sum[RandomInteger[{1, 10}] #^k, {k, 150}] &;
list = Table[N@Root[expr, k], {k, 150}];
$PlotComplexPoints[list, 320, 20, 20, 140]

enter image description here


which serves to illustrate this MathOverflow question.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...