Skip to main content

front end - Difference between ParentList and Inherited


In this answer Carl Woll uses the ParentList symbol to inherit old input aliases when adding a new one:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], 

InputAliases] = {"0x" ->
RowBox[{InterpretationBox[
StyleBox["\"0\"", ShowStringCharacters -> False],
Function[Null,
FromDigits[StringDrop[ToString@Unevaluated@#, 1], 16],
HoldAll]], "\[InvisibleApplication]", "\[InvisibleSpace]",
StyleBox["x", ShowAutoStyles -> False]}], ParentList};
CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] /. Rule[a_, _] :> a

{"0x", ParentList}


And we can still use the all the basic built-in aliases


On the other-hand, we can get the same result using Inherited:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] = Inherited;
CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[],
InputAliases] = {"0x" ->
RowBox[{InterpretationBox[
StyleBox["\"0\"", ShowStringCharacters -> False],
Function[Null,
FromDigits[StringDrop[ToString@Unevaluated@#, 1], 16],

HoldAll]], "\[InvisibleApplication]", "\[InvisibleSpace]",
StyleBox["x", ShowAutoStyles -> False]}], Inherited};
CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] /. Rule[a_, _] :> a

{"0x", Inherited}

And we can, again, use the all of the built-in aliases, but if we look at the AbsoluteCurrentValues for the first case:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], 
InputAliases] = {"0x" ->
RowBox[{InterpretationBox[

StyleBox["\"0\"", ShowStringCharacters -> False],
Function[Null,
FromDigits[StringDrop[ToString@Unevaluated@#, 1], 16],
HoldAll]], "\[InvisibleApplication]", "\[InvisibleSpace]",
StyleBox["x", ShowAutoStyles -> False]}], ParentList};
AbsoluteCurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] /.
Rule[a_, _] :> a

{"0x", "intt", "dintt", "sumt", "prodt", "dt", "ia", "cbrt", "surd", \
"ket", "bra", "braket", "delay", "grad", "del.", "delx", "del2", \

"notation", "notation>", "notation<", "symb", "infixnotation", \
"addia", "pattwraper", "madeboxeswraper"}

And the second:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] = Inherited;
CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[],
InputAliases] = {"0x" ->
RowBox[{InterpretationBox[
StyleBox["\"0\"", ShowStringCharacters -> False],
Function[Null,

FromDigits[StringDrop[ToString@Unevaluated@#, 1], 16],
HoldAll]], "\[InvisibleApplication]", "\[InvisibleSpace]",
StyleBox["x", ShowAutoStyles -> False]}], Inherited};
AbsoluteCurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] /.
Rule[a_, _] :> a

{"0x", Inherited}

We see that even though they are operationally similar, the AbsoluteCurrentValue result is different.


So I guess my question is, how do ParentList and Inherited differ outside of this small difference?



ParentList is obviously more scoped to list-type constructs, but why does it need to exist at all?




Extra Info:


Per Albert Retey's comment I checked whether either responded differently to upstream changes:


StyleSheetEdit["MyStyle1" -> "Input",
{
InputAliases -> {"0x" -> "\"\[SadSmiley]\"", ParentList}
},
"MakeCell" -> True
];

CellPrint[Cell[BoxData[""], "MyStyle1"]];
StyleSheetEdit["MyStyle2" -> "Input",
{
InputAliases -> {"0x" -> "\"\[SadSmiley]\"", Inherited}
},
"MakeCell" -> True
];
CellPrint[Cell[BoxData[""], "MyStyle2"]];
CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], InputAliases] = {"a" -> "\"b\""};


Both cells behaved entirely the same



Answer



Its name is misleading, unfortunately, because it can be very useful.


A better name would be something around ParentSequence/ParentArguments. Here is one example:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], TaggingRules] = {"old" -> "value"};
cell = EvaluationCell[];

CurrentValue[cell, TaggingRules] = {ParentList, "new" -> "value"};
AbsoluteCurrentValue[cell, TaggingRules]



{"old" -> "value", "new" -> "value"}

CurrentValue[cell, TaggingRules] = {Inherited, "new" -> "value"};
AbsoluteCurrentValue[cell, TaggingRules]


{{"old" -> "value"}, "new" -> "value"}

So in this case you really want to use it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...