Skip to main content

differential equations - 2d solution to 3d using axial symmetry - Finite Element


This problem is axially symmetric. I want to solve using the Finite Element method and taking advantage of the symmetry.


(Note: eleField3D needs to be called with Cartesian coordinates)


Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"]
Clear["Global`*"]

cylinOffset = 0.0125;(*meter*)
cylinRadius = 0.0075;(*meter*)


shellRadius = 0.0233;(*meter*)
scaleLen = 2.10;

cylinVoltage = 100;

shell = ImplicitRegion[0 <= r <= shellRadius && ζ^2 <= (scaleLen shellRadius)^2, {r,ζ}];
halfTorus = ImplicitRegion[(r - cylinOffset)^2 + ζ^2 <= cylinRadius^2 && r <= cylinOffset, {r, ζ}];

reg = ToElementMesh[RegionDifference[shell, halfTorus], AccuracyGoal -> 9, PrecisionGoal -> 9, MaxCellMeasure -> 1*^-8];

RegionPlot[reg, AspectRatio -> scaleLen]

Please check that my 2D (r,z) Cylindrical Laplacian is correct.


solution =  NDSolveValue[{(1/r) D[r D[u[r, ζ], r], r] + D[u[r, ζ], {ζ, 2}] == 0,
DirichletCondition[u[r, ζ] == 0, r == shellRadius],
DirichletCondition[u[r, ζ] == 0, ζ^2 == (scaleLen shellRadius)^2],
DirichletCondition[u[r, ζ] == cylinVoltage, r == cylinOffset && ζ^2 <= cylinRadius^2],
DirichletCondition[u[r, ζ] == cylinVoltage, (r - cylinOffset)^2 + ζ^2 == cylinRadius^2 && r <= cylinOffset]},
u, {r, ζ} ∈ reg, Method -> {"FiniteElement"}]


How do I revolve the solution to get the 3D field?


Proposed Answer:


eleFieldCylin[r_, ζ_] = -Grad[solution[r, ζ], {r, ζ}];
eleField3D[x_, y_, z_] = RotationTransform[ArcTan[x, y], {0, 0, 1}][
Insert[eleFieldCylin[Sqrt[x^2 + y^2], z], 0, 2]];

Show[
VectorPlot3D[eleField3D[x, y, z],
{x, -shellRadius, shellRadius}, {y, -shellRadius, shellRadius},
{z, -(scaleLen shellRadius), (scaleLen shellRadius)}],

RegionPlot3D[
DiscretizeRegion[
ImplicitRegion[(cylinOffset - Sqrt[x^2 + y^2])^2 + z^2 <=
cylinRadius^2 && x^2 + y^2 <= cylinOffset^2, {x, y, z}]]]
]

Answer



I think the proposed answer is correct now, here's just some suggestions.


First, you can deduce Laplace equation with the help of Laplacian to avoid possible mistakes:


Laplacian[u[r, ζ], {r, th, ζ}, "Cylindrical"] == 0
(* Derivative[0, 2][u][r, ζ] + Derivative[1, 0][u][r, ζ]/r +

Derivative[2, 0][u][r, ζ] == 0 *)

Second, eleField3D can be defined in a clearer and simpler way with TransformField:


eleFieldCylin[r_, ζ_] = -Grad[solution[r, ζ], {r, th, ζ}, "Cylindrical"];
eleField3D[x_, y_, z_] =
TransformedField["Cylindrical" -> "Cartesian",
eleFieldCylin[r, ζ], {r, th, ζ} -> {x, y, z}]

Third, it may be better to set a region function for VectorPlot3D, for example:


regionfunc = (Function[{x, y, z}, #1] & )[

0 <= r <= shellRadius && ζ^2 <= (scaleLen*shellRadius)^2 &&
! ((r - cylinOffset)^2 + ζ^2 <= cylinRadius^2 &&
r <= cylinOffset) /. {r -> Sqrt[x^2 + y^2], ζ -> z}];

VectorPlot3D[
(Piecewise[{{#1, regionfunc[x, y, z]}},
{0, 0, 0}] & )@eleField3D[x, y, z]//Evaluate, {x, -shellRadius, shellRadius},
{y, -shellRadius, shellRadius}, {z, -(scaleLen shellRadius), scaleLen shellRadius}]

4th, I think PrecisionGoal and AccuracyGoal has no obvious effect here and can be taken away. (Have you read this post?: Is manual adjustment of AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal useless?)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...