Skip to main content

graphics3d - How to make a 3D plot auto-rotate?


When doing presentation with Mathematica, I often want a 3D plot to rotate automatically, so the 3D feeling is stronger. I don't want to drag the mouse every time.


So, I want a general function like


autoRotate["3D graphics here"]

The out put is a rotating version, and I can stop/start the rotation by click a control.



Question: How can I implement this function efficiently so the rotation is as smooth as possible?


Here is my first try: Get viewpoint and compute the rotation matrix;


g = Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 3}, {y, 0, 3}];
vc = AbsoluteOptions[g, ViewCenter][[1, 2]];
vp = AbsoluteOptions[g, ViewPoint][[1, 2]];
m = RotationMatrix[3 Degree, {0., 0., 1.}];
newvp = m.(vp - vc);

then manipulate:


Manipulate[If[start, newvp = m.newvp]; 

Show[g, ViewPoint -> Dynamic[newvp + vc],
SphericalRegion -> True ], {start, {False, True }}]

This seems slow and I lose the ability to zoom/rotate the plot manually.


Second try:


DynamicModule[{}, 
Show[g, ViewPoint ->
Dynamic[newvp = m.newvp; newvp + vc, UpdateInterval -> 1.],
SphericalRegion -> True ]]


This seems faster, but I can't control the refreshrate. UpdateInterval ->1 seems to lose effect and I also can't zoom/rotate the plot manually.


Update: Based on Rojo's idea and Silvia's comment, here is what I currently use:


autoRotate[gr_Graphics3D, rate_: 7] := 
DynamicModule[{vp, va, vv, vc }, {vp, va, vv, vc} =
gr~AbsoluteOptions~#~OptionValue~# &@{ViewPoint, ViewAngle,
ViewVertical, ViewCenter};
Overlay[{Show[Graphics3D[], ViewPoint -> Dynamic[vp],
ViewAngle -> Dynamic[va], SphericalRegion -> True],
Show[gr, SphericalRegion -> True,
ViewPoint -> Dynamic[RotationMatrix[Clock[2 \[Pi], rate], vv].vp],

ViewAngle -> Dynamic[va], Boxed -> False , Axes -> False]}, All,
1]]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...