Skip to main content

performance tuning - Why is CompilationTarget -> C slower than directly writing with C?



Probably a hard question, but I think it's better to cry out loud.


I've hesitated for a while about whether I should post this in StackOverflow with a c tag or not, but finally decide to keep it here.


This question can be viewed as a follow up of Has this implementation of FDM touched the speed limit of Mathematica?. In the answer under that post, Daniel managed to implement a compiled Mathematica function that's almost as fast (to be more precise, 3/4 as fast) as the one directly implementing with C++, with the help of devectorization,CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeOptions -> "Speed" and Compile`GetElement. Since then, this combination has been tested in various samples, and turns out to be quite effective in speeding up CompiledFunction that involves a lot of array element accessing. I do benefit a lot from this technique, nevertheless in the mean time, another question never disappear in my mind, that is:


Why is the CompiledFunction created with the combination above still slower than the one directly writing with C++?


To make the question more clear and answerable, let's use a simpler example. In the answers under this post about Laplacian of a matrix, I create the following function with the technique above:


cLa = Hold@Compile[{{z, _Real, 2}}, 
Module[{d1, d2}, {d1, d2} = Dimensions@z;
Table[z[[i + 1, j]] + z[[i, j + 1]] + z[[i - 1, j]] + z[[i, j - 1]] -
4 z[[i, j]], {i, 2, d1 - 1}, {j, 2, d2 - 1}]], CompilationTarget -> C,
RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"] /. Part -> Compile`GetElement // ReleaseHold;


and Shutao create one with LibraryLink (which is almost equivalent to writing code directly with C):


src = "
#include \"WolframLibrary.h\"

DLLEXPORT int laplacian(WolframLibraryData libData, mint Argc, MArgument *Args, \
MArgument Res) {
MTensor tensor_A, tensor_B;
mreal *a, *b;
mint const *A_dims;

mint n;
int err;
mint dims[2];
mint i, j, idx;
tensor_A = MArgument_getMTensor(Args[0]);
a = libData->MTensor_getRealData(tensor_A);
A_dims = libData->MTensor_getDimensions(tensor_A);
n = A_dims[0];
dims[0] = dims[1] = n - 2;
err = libData->MTensor_new(MType_Real, 2, dims, &tensor_B);

b = libData->MTensor_getRealData(tensor_B);
for (i = 1; i <= n - 2; i++) {
for (j = 1; j <= n - 2; j++) {
idx = n*i + j;
b[idx+1-2*i-n] = a[idx-n] + a[idx-1] + a[idx+n] + a[idx+1] - 4*a[idx];
}
}
MArgument_setMTensor(Res, tensor_B);
return LIBRARY_NO_ERROR;
}

";
Needs["CCompilerDriver`"]
lib = CreateLibrary[src, "laplacian"];

lapShutao = LibraryFunctionLoad[lib, "laplacian", {{Real, 2}}, {Real, 2}];

and the following is the benchmark by anderstood:


enter image description here


Why cLa is slower than lapShutao?


Do we really touch the speed limit of Mathematica this time?



Answer(s) addressing the reason for the inferiority of cLa or improving the speed of cLa are both welcomed.





…OK, the example above turns out to be special, as mentioned in the comment below, cLa will be as fast as lapShutao if we extract the LibraryFunction inside it:


cLaCore = cLa[[-1]];

mat = With[{n = 5000}, RandomReal[1, {n, n}]];

cLaCore@mat; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.269556, Null} *)


lapShutao@mat; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.269062, Null} *)

However, the effect of this trick is remarkable only if the output is memory consuming.


Since I've chosen such a big title for my question, I somewhat feel responsible to add a more general example. The following is the fastest 1D FDTD implementation in Mathematica so far:


fdtd1d = ReleaseHold@
With[{ie = 200, cg = Compile`GetElement},
Hold@Compile[{{steps, _Integer}},
Module[{ez = Table[0., {ie + 1}], hy = Table[0., {ie}]},

Do[
Do[ez[[j]] += hy[[j]] - hy[[j - 1]], {j, 2, ie}];
ez[[1]] = Sin[n/10.];
Do[hy[[j]] += ez[[j + 1]] - ez[[j]], {j, 1, ie}], {n, steps}]; ez],
"CompilationTarget" -> "C", "RuntimeOptions" -> "Speed"] /. Part -> cg /.
HoldPattern@(h : Set | AddTo)[cg@a__, b_] :> h[Part@a, b]];

fdtdcore = fdtd1d[[-1]];

and the following is an implemenation via LibraryLink (which is almost equivalent to writing code directly with C):



str = "#include \"WolframLibrary.h\"
#include

DLLEXPORT int fdtd1d(WolframLibraryData libData, mint Argc, MArgument *Args, MArgument \
Res){
MTensor tensor_ez;
double *ez;
int i,t;
const int ie=200,steps=MArgument_getInteger(Args[0]);
const mint dimez=ie+1;

double hy[ie];

libData->MTensor_new(MType_Real, 1, &dimez, &tensor_ez);
ez = libData->MTensor_getRealData(tensor_ez);

for(i=0;i for(i=0;i
for(t=1;t<=steps;t++){
for(i=1;i
ez[0]=sin(t/10.);
for(i=0;i }

MArgument_setMTensor(Res, tensor_ez);
return 0;}
";

fdtdlib = CreateLibrary[str, "fdtd"];
fdtdc = LibraryFunctionLoad[fdtdlib, "fdtd1d", {Integer}, {Real, 1}];


test = fdtdcore[10^6]; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.551254, Null} *)
testc = fdtdc[10^6]; // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.261192, Null} *)

As one can see, the algorithms in both pieces of code are the same, but fdtdc is twice as fast as fdtdcore. (Well, the speed difference is larger than two years ago, the reason might be I'm no longer on a 32 bit machine. )


My C compiler is TDM-GCC 4.9.2, with "SystemCompileOptions"->"-Ofast" set in Mathematica.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...