Skip to main content

differential equations - Solving a simple BVP


I'm new to mathematica and am interested in solving the following BVP:


$\epsilon \,y'' + 2 y' + y^3 = 0$, for $0 < x < 1$ and $y(0) = 0, y(1) = 1/2$.


I have no experience with coding, so although I have read through the Mathematica documentation, I'm still a bit confused as to how to do this. I think I understand DSolve, but what does that actually give me, and how do i plot it?



Answer




Nice to have something to solve while waiting for coeffee.


Mathematica graphics


 Manipulate[
eq = \[Epsilon]\[Epsilon] y''[x] + 2 y'[x] + y[x]^3 == 0;
ic = {y[0] == ic0, y[1] == ic1};

sol = First@NDSolve[Flatten[{eq, ic}], y[x], {x, 0, to}];

Plot[y[x] /. sol, {x, 0, to},
Frame -> True,

PlotRange -> All,
ImagePadding -> 50,
FrameLabel -> {
{y[x], None},
{x,
Style[Row[{"solution to ", \[Epsilon] y''[x] + 2 y'[x] +y[x]^3 == 0}], 12]
}
},
GridLines -> Automatic,
GridLinesStyle -> Directive[LightGray, Thickness[.001]]

],

{{\[Epsilon]\[Epsilon], 1, \[Epsilon]}, 0, 1, .01, ImageSize -> Tiny,
Appearance -> "Labeled"},

{{to, 2, "to?"}, 2, 10, .01, ImageSize -> Tiny,
Appearance -> "Labeled"},

{{ic0, 0, "y(0)"}, 0, 1, .01, ImageSize -> Tiny,
Appearance -> "Labeled"},


{{ic1, 0.5, "y(1)"}, 0, 1, .01, ImageSize -> Tiny,
Appearance -> "Labeled"}
]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...