Skip to main content

list manipulation - Make a huge vector in a wise way


I need to construct a vector similar to:


v[x_]:={0, 0, x, 0, 0, 2*x, 0, 0, 3*x, ....., 0, 0, n*x};

where n=10^9. How can I make such a vector wisely?



Answer



When n is large and x is known, using a PackedArray may be a good option.


ar3=ConstantArray[0,3n];
ar3[[3;;;;3]]=Range[x, n x, x];

ar3

To see that the result is a PackedArray, we see that


<< Developer`;
PackedArrayQ[ar]


True



Whereas for Kuba's last array we would have False (even if x has a value). Note that ConstantArray also produces a PackedArray.



Whether this is useful really depends on what you want to do with the List. PackedArrays take up less space in memory, which is an advantage, but they probably take up more space than a SparseArray (in this case). Computations using PackedArrays can be much faster as well.


Some timings/comparisons


I mainly compare my code with Kuba's MapAt answer. I also compare with my original answer, found further below.


x = 5;
i = 0;
n = 1000000;

(
ar = ConstantArray[0, 3 n];
Do[

ar[[3 i]] = i x
,
{i, 1, n}
];
ar) // Timing // First

(ar2 = MapAt[(++i; i x) &, ConstantArray[0, 3 n], 3 ;; ;; 3]) //
Timing // First

(ar3 = ConstantArray[0, 3 n];

ar3[[3 ;; ;; 3]] = Range[x, n x, x];
ar3
) // Timing // First


3.125590
3.139499
0.048840



So generating the PackedArray can be considerably faster, if done right. ar1 and ar3 must be the same as they are Equal and both PackedArrays, but I added timings/comparisons using both these anyway.



ByteCount[ar]
ByteCount[ar2]
ByteCount[ar3]


24000144
72000080
24000144



which is in favor of the PackedArray. Doing calculations may also be faster using a PackedArray, like in the following example



ar // Total // Timing
ar2 // Total // Timing
ar3 //Total //Timing


{0.010633, 2500002500000}
{0.629586, 2500002500000}
{0.012352, 2500002500000}



Original answer



Note: It now turns out this use of Do is not so nice


This is very similar to Kuba's answer with MapAt. But I think Do works better with PackedArrays. The following gives a "list" of the required form.


n = 500;
ar = ConstantArray[0, 3 n];
Do[
ar[[3 i]] = i x
,
{i, 1, n}
];
ar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...