Skip to main content

Apply ColorFunction to an Image




is there a faster way to change the colors of an image from grayscale to something like this:


Manipulate[coltest2 = (Blend[{{a, Black}, {b, Lighter[Blue, 0.3]}, {c,Lighter[Cyan,0.3]}, {d, White}}, #] &);
Plot[0.2, {x, 0, 1}, ColorFunction -> coltest2, PlotStyle -> Directive[Thickness[1]], PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 0.5}}, Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> {True, False, None, None}, AspectRatio -> 1/8],
{{a, 0.35}, 0, b, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
{{b, 0.58}, 0, c, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
{{c, 0.7}, 0, d, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
{{d, 0.95}, 0, 1, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

than using:



Colorize[image,ColorFunction->coltest2]

I would like to have the image in the manipulate rather than the sample of the ColorFunction, but Colorize is way to slow for that...



Answer



What you can do is, you mimic the behaviour of Blend by creating a function that interpolates linearly between colours. What you change with your parameters are the values where the color transitions take place.


Let me give you a simplified example: I use 3 colours. In the compiled function, I only work with their {r,g,b} values. As result, I want a compiled function which does the following:



  • it takes a parameter a between 0 and 1 and a pixel value between 0 and 1

  • with 3 colours c1, c2 and c3 it will colorise the pixel: from a pixel value of 0 to a it will be colorised with the transition c1 to c2. If the pixel value is greater than a it will be colorised by blending c2 and c3.

  • the compiled function should be able to work in parallel on all pixels of an image



Here is a sample implementation of a function that creates such a colorising compiled function for us:


createColorFunc[colors : {_, _, _}] :=
Function[{c1, c2, c3},
Compile[{{a, _Real, 0}, {value, _Real, 0}},
If[value < a,
c1 + ((-c1 + c2)*value)/a,
(c3*(a - value) + c2*(-1 + value))/(-1 + a)
], Parallelization -> True, RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable}
]

] @@ List @@@ (ColorConvert[#, "RGB"] & /@ colors)

To test is, we load the Lena image in grayscale an build a small Manipulate:


With[{lena = ColorConvert[ExampleData[{"TestImage", "Lena"}], "Grayscale"]},
Manipulate[
func = createColorFunc[{c1, c2, c3}];
Image[func[a, ImageData[lena, "Real"]]],
{{a, .5}, 0, 1},
{c1, Black},
{c2, Gray},

{c3, White}
]
]

Mathematica graphics


You task is now to extend this for more than 3 colours and one color transition position.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...