Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Finding the 1st three derivatives of a function and plotting all four curves



Plot all three; the function, its derivative and its tangent line at a given point. Then, find the second and third derivative of the function.



f(x)= x^(3)-2x, x= -1

I know its something like this, but I kept getting the wrong answer or error messages.



f[x_] := [[x^(3)-2x, x],{x-> -1}]
f'[]
f''[]
f'''[]
Plot[{f[x],f'[x],f''[x], f'''[x]},{x},PlotLegends->"Expressions"]

Not sure about the tangent line



Answer



I like David Stork's answer, but I also think an answer more focused on the specific example give by the OP might be helpful.


The given function



f[x_] := x^3 - 2 x

Its 1st derivative


d1F[x_] = f'[x]


-2 + 3 x^2



Note that I use Set ( = ), not SetDelayed ( := ), because I want the d1F to the specific derivative of x^3 - 2 x and not just a synonym for f'[x].


The tangent line



At a given point, say x0, the tangent line is the line passing through {x0, f[x0]} having slope f'[x0] and is given by


f[x0] + f'[x0] (x - x0)

That the this expression is a line is obvious because it is a linear function of x. That it passes through {x0, f[x0]} is trivial because when x is set to x0, the 2nd term is 0. Further, since a line's slope is the multiplier of its independent variable and x is multiplied by f'[x0], the line has the required slope. So a function giving the tangent line of f when x == x0 can be defined by


tangentF[x_, x0_] = f[x0] + f'[x0] (x - x0) // Simplify


-2 x0^3 + x (-2 + 3 x0^2)



Again, I use Set ( = ), not SetDelayed ( := ), because I want the tangent function to be specific to f.



Now we have everything we need to make the plot.


With[{x0 = -1},
Plot[{f[x], d1F[x], tangentF[x, x0]}, {x, -2, 1},
Epilog -> {Red, PointSize[Large], Point[{x0, f[x0]}]},
AspectRatio -> 1,
PlotRange -> {-4, 4},
PlotLegends -> {"Function", "Derivative", "Tangent Line"}]]

plot


As for the two higher derivatives, they are given by



f''[x]


6 x



and


f'''[x]


6




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...