Skip to main content

Association of Associations : how to permute level 1 and level 2 keys?


I have a ragged Association of Association, say :


assoc = Association[
"1" -> Association["a" -> "x", "b" -> "y"],
"2" -> Association[ "b" -> "z", "c" -> "k"]
]


I would like to transform it into a Association where level 1 and level 2 keys are reversed, that is to say :


Association[
"a" -> Association["1" -> "x"],
"b" -> Association["1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"],
"c" -> Association[ "2" -> "k"]
]

My solution is :


keysExplodedList = Reap[MapIndexed[Sow[Reverse[#2] -> #1] &, assoc, {2}]][[2, 1]]
groupedLevel1 = GroupBy[#[[1, 1]] &] @ keysExplodedList

groupedLevel2 = GroupBy[#[[1, 2]] &] /@ groupedLevel1
result = Map[#[[1, 2]] &, groupedLevel2, {2}]


<|"a" -> <|"1" -> "x"|>, "b" -> <|"1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"|>, "c" -> <|"2" -> "k"|>|>



Is there something more elegant ?



Answer



Mathematica 10.1 almost supports this operation directly:


assoc // Query[Transpose]


(*
<| "a" -> <|"1" -> "x", "2" -> Missing["KeyAbsent", "a"]|>,
"b" -> <|"1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"|>,
"c" -> <|"1" -> Missing["KeyAbsent", "c"], "2" -> "k"|>
|>
*)

All that remains is to delete the unwanted Missing elements:


assoc // Query[Transpose] // DeleteMissing[#, 2]&


(*
<| "a" -> <|"1" -> "x"|>,
"b" -> <|"1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"|>,
"c" -> <|"2" -> "k"|>
|>
*)

We can see that Query uses the undocumented function GeneralUtilities`AssociationTranspose to do the heavy-lifting:


Query[Transpose] // Normal


(* GeneralUtilities`AssociationTranspose *)

assoc // GeneralUtilities`AssociationTranspose

(*
<| "a" -> <|"1" -> "x", "2" -> Missing["KeyAbsent", "a"]|>,
"b" -> <|"1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"|>,
"c" -> <|"1" -> Missing["KeyAbsent", "c"], "2" -> "k"|>
|>

*)

An Imperative Solution


The words "elegant" and "imperative" rarely appear together these days, but an imperative solution can express the transposition directly:


Module[{r = <| |>}
, Do[r = Merge[{r, <| j -> <| i -> assoc[[i, j]] |> |>}, Association]
, {i, Keys[assoc]}
, {j, Keys[assoc[[i]]]}
]
; r

]

(*
<| "a" -> <|"1" -> "x"|>,
"b" -> <|"1" -> "y", "2" -> "z"|>,
"c" -> <|"2" -> "k"|>
|>
*)

A ScanIndexed operator would come in handy here (the undocumented one in GeneralUtilities` is not, well, general enough).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...