Skip to main content

functions - Applying And to lists of Booleans


I'd like to take {True,True,False} and {True,False,False} and apply And to get {True,False,False}. Right now I'm using


And @@ # & /@ Transpose[{{True, True, False}, {True, False, False}}]

Is that really the best way? I would like And[{True, True, False}, {True, False, False}] to work but it does not.



Answer



I like more :


MapThread[ And, {{True, True, False}, {True, False, False}}]



{True, False, False}

Edit


We should test efficiency of various methods for a few different lists.


Definitions


Argento[l_] := (And @@ # & /@ Transpose[l]; // AbsoluteTiming // First)
Brett[l_] := (And @@@ Transpose[l]; // AbsoluteTiming // First)
Artes[l_] := (MapThread[And, l]; // AbsoluteTiming // First)
kguler[l_] := (And[l[[1]], l[[2]]] // Thread; // AbsoluteTiming // First)
RM[l_] := (Inner[And, l[[1]], l[[2]], List]; // AbsoluteTiming // First)


Test I


l1 = RandomChoice[{True, False}, {2, 10^5}];
Argento[l1]
Brett[l1]
Artes[l1]
kguler[l1]
RM[l1]



0.2710000
0.0820000
0.0530000
0.0520000
0.0390000

Test II


l2 = RandomChoice[{True, False}, {2, 7 10^5}];
Argento[l2]
Brett[l2]

Artes[l2]
kguler[l2]
RM[l2]


1.4690000
0.5820000
0.3840000
0.3700000
0.2890000


Test III


l3 = RandomChoice[{True, False}, {2, 3 10^6}];
Argento[l3]
Brett[l3]
Artes[l3]
kguler[l3]
RM[l3]



6.2320000
2.4750000
1.6530000
1.4150000
1.2150000

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?