Skip to main content

Plotting the sum of curves without recalculation


I want to plot several curves of functions which are hard to calculate on the same plot. I would like to add to the same plot the sum of these functions without recalculating them twice at each point.


So instead of


 Plot[{Sin[x], Sin[2 x], Sin[x] + Sin[2 x]}, {x, 0, 6 Pi}]

I would like somthing like


 Plot[{aa = Sin[x], bb = Sin[2 x], aa + bb}, {x, 0, 6 Pi}]

Answer




How about this:


f[x_] := Sin[x]
Plot[{#1, #2, #1 + #2} &[f[x], f[2 x]], {x, 0, 4}]

Strangely enough, this solution is slower that expected:


f[x_] := NIntegrate[Sin[1/y^2], {y, -x, x}] (*slow function*)

AbsoluteTiming[Plot[{f[x], f[2 x], f[x] + f[2 x]}, {x, 0, 1}]] (*naïve approach*)
AbsoluteTiming[Plot[{#1, #2, #1 + #2} &[f[x], f[2 x]], {x, 0, 1}]] (*my solution*)
AbsoluteTiming[Plot[With[{aa=f[x],bb=f[2x]},{aa,bb,aa+bb}],{x,0,1},Evaluated->False]] (*Szabolcs' comment*)


(*65.7*)
(*106.2*)
(*102.0*)

We do get a substantial improvement with memoization:


f[x_] := f[x] = NIntegrate[Sin[1/y^2], {y, -x, x}]
AbsoluteTiming[Plot[{f[x], f[2 x], f[x] + f[2 x]}, {x, 0, 1}]] (*naïve approach with memoization*)

(*40.5*)


Finally, the best approach so far is to follow BlacKow's suggestion and precalculate the function at discrete points:


f[x_] := NIntegrate[Sin[1/y^2], {y, -x, x}] (*two slow*)
g[x_] := NIntegrate[Cos[1/y^2], {y, -x, x}] (*functions*)

AbsoluteTiming[
points = Range[0, 1, .01];
F = f /@ points;
G = g /@ points;
ListPlot[{Transpose@{points, F}, Transpose@{points, G},

Transpose@{points, F + G}}, Joined -> True]
]

(*3.4*)

though it can get tricky to choose the appropriate spacing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...