Skip to main content

packages - Strange behaviour of order of execution or bug?


enter image description here


In[1] and In[3] are identical but the output is different.



Answer



? name is a special input form with nonstandard parsing behavior, just like >>> as explained here.


When you write a line starting with ? the item following it is not a Symbol, contrary to appearances. Instead it is a String with implicit delimiters. This is not simply a matter of a hold attribute. For example HoldComplete[a^] is incomplete syntax and cannot be entered, yet:


?a^



Information::nomatch: No symbol matching a^ found. >>



Using the same method as for the linked question we can take a look at parsing itself:


parseString[s_String, prep : (True | False) : True] := 
FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`UndocumentedTestFEParserPacket[s, prep]]

parseString["?a^"]

parseString["HoldComplete[a^]"]



{BoxData[RowBox[{"?", "a^"}]], StandardForm}

{BoxData[RowBox[{"HoldComplete", "[", RowBox[{"a", "^"}], "]"}]], StandardForm}

Observe that in the first case "a^" remains an undivided String whereas in the section it is parsed into a RowBox.


We can look at the next step in evaluation by using MakeBoxes:


MakeExpression @ "?name"



HoldComplete[Information["name", LongForm -> False]]

Note that the first argument of Information is the String "name" and not the Symbol name.


So know you know that your ? name input form actually becomes:


 Information["VariationalMethods`VariationalD", LongForm -> False]

And indeed this behaves just the same. But why does this say "No symbol matching" in a fresh kernel while this does not?:


Information[VariationalMethods`VariationalD, LongForm -> False]

Consider the way that DeclarePackage works:




You can use DeclarePackage to tell Mathematica automatically to load a particular package when any of the symbols defined in it are used.


DeclarePackage["ErrorBarPlots`", "ErrorListPlot"]

The String "ErrorListPlot" does not count as the use of the Symbol ErrorListPlot as explained in the documentation for Stub:





  • Symbols with the Stub attribute are created by DeclarePackage.





  • A symbol is considered "used" if its name appears explicitly, not in the form of a string.




  • Names["nameform"] and Attributes["nameform"] do not constitute "uses" of a symbol.





Therefore the implicit string form of ?name does not constitute a use of name and the package is not loaded, resulting in the nomatch message.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...