Skip to main content

plotting - Nested Integrate and NIntegrate: Analytic and Numeric solutions?


Here is a function $F(r)$ which contains double integrations


$$F(r)=\exp\left[ \int_{0}^r dw \,\exp\left(-\int_{0}^w ds \frac{s^2}{s^2+1} \left(1-\exp(- s)\right) \right) \right]$$


I am fine for either/both obtaining


(1) a analytic solutions $F(r)$ (say, in terms of just a function of $r$),


or


(2) a numerical function of $r$ (say, a x-y plot of x=$r$ v.s. y=$f(r)$, even just a selection of points running from $\{r, 0, 100, 1\}$)




I find the most challenge part is that the choices we can make for doing the Integrate and NIntegrate. How to wisely choose NIntegrate and Integrate to obtain the answer.



For example, what will be the plot of Plot[F(r),{r,0,100}] or ListPlot[F(r),{r,0,100,1}] looks like?



Answer



The inner integral can be performed symbolically by


si = Integrate[s^2 (1 - Exp[-s])/(s^2 + 1), {s, 0, w}, Assumptions -> w > 0]
(* w - ArcTan[w] + 1/2 (-2 + 2 E^-w - I E^I ExpIntegralEi[-I] +
I E^-I ExpIntegralEi[I] + I E^I ExpIntegralEi[-I - w] - I E^-I ExpIntegralEi[I - w]) *)


and the outer integral numerically by


s = NDSolveValue[{f'[w] == Exp[-si], f[0] == 0}, f, {w, 0, 10}];
F[r_] := Exp[s[r]]
Plot[F[r], {r, 0, 10}, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {r, "F"},
ImageSize -> Large, LabelStyle -> Directive[Bold, Black, Medium]]

enter image description here


Addendum


Although certainly not necessary, it is possible to simplify si as follows.


FullSimplify[ComplexExpand[si, TargetFunctions -> {Re, Im}], w > 0];

% /. 1/2 I E^-I (E^(2 I) ExpIntegralEi[-I - w] - ExpIntegralEi[I - w])
-> Im[Exp[-I] ExpIntegralEi[I - w]]
% /. CosIntegral[1] Sin[1] - 1/2 Cos[1] (Pi + 2 SinIntegral[1]) - 1
-> N[CosIntegral[1] Sin[1] - 1/2 Cos[1] (Pi + 2 SinIntegral[1]) - 1]
(* -2.07596 + E^-w + w - ArcTan[w] + Im[E^-I ExpIntegralEi[I - w]] *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?