Skip to main content

Why is there a huge performance gap using Map with more than 100 List entries



im using Map on a List like this:


cube= {{1, 1, 1}, {1, 1, 2}, {1, 1, 3}, {1, 1, 4}, ... , {5, 5, 4}, {5, 5, 5}}

Mapping the whole List with 125 entries takes like 2.5s.


AbsoluteTiming[
Map[Apply[d[[#1, #2, #3]] &, #] &, cube];
]

{2.552146, Null}


Mapping in two sublists with less than 100 entries the whole thing takes nearly no time.


 AbsoluteTiming[
Join[
Map[Apply[d[[#1, #2, #3]] &, #] &, cube[[1 ;; 99]]],
Map[Apply[d[[#1, #2, #3]] &, #] &, cube[[100 ;; 125]]]
];

]

{0., Null}


Why is there a huge performance gap? An how do I avoid it except splitting my list?



Answer



If you look at SystemOptions[], like so,


Column[
OpenerView /@
(Replace[SystemOptions[], Rule[x_, y_] -> List[x, y],
1])
]


you see that under CompileOptions, if you click on the triangle to open it,


enter image description here


there is an option "MapCompileLength" -> 100. Set it to eg 10 and see it it helps (do SetSystemOptions["CompileOptions" -> {"MapCompileLength" -> 10}]).


This option determines the length of the list above which Mathematica (tries to) compile the function to be mapped.


EDIT: Example:


Here's some data:


Length[cube = Tuples[Range[10], 4]]

And here's a function which is a) inefficient on purpose, b) designed to be compilable as-is (that's why I localise s, so that Compile will work).


d = (Module[{s = 0}, Do[s = s + #[[i]]^2, {i, Length@#}];s] &)


Now, set the auto-compilation length for Map to 100 (the default):


SetSystemOptions["CompileOptions" -> {"MapCompileLength" -> 100}]

and now test:


Needs["GeneralUtilities`"]
Quiet@BenchmarkPlot[d /@ # &, cube[[1 ;; #]] &, Range[90, 110]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...