Skip to main content

complex - Getting an Accurate Transformed Region


I would like to get an accurate plot of the image of concentric circles under the transformation $$f(z) = \log(1+z).$$


I've defined $\cal R$ as the union of a few circles:


p[x_, y_][\[Alpha]_] := x^2 + y^2 - \[Alpha]^2;
m = Table[ImplicitRegion[p[x, y][\[Alpha]] == 0, {x, y}],
{\[Alpha], Range[7]/7}];
\[ScriptCapitalR] = RegionUnion[m];
a = Region[\[ScriptCapitalR], BaseStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, .8, .7],
Frame -> True];


Now the function $f(z)$ is defined in terms of its real and imaginary parts:


f = Evaluate[{1/2 Log[(1 + x)^2 + y^2], ArcTan[y/(1 + x)]}] &;


\[ScriptCapitalE] = TransformedRegion[\[ScriptCapitalR], f];
b = Region[\[ScriptCapitalE], BaseStyle -> RGBColor[1, 0, 0, .7],
Frame -> True];

$\cal E$ is the transformed region. We then plot $a$ and $b$ the regions defined by $\cal R$ and $\cal E$, respectively.



GraphicsRow[{a, b}]

enter image description here


My question is this: All of the red curves look nice with the exception of the outermost one. This curve should go off to infinity (to the left) as $z \rightarrow -1$ but Mathematica wants to connect it. Any suggestions?


UPDATE


Although the answers in the comments work and are expedient, there still remains a question. Obviously, we cannot get the solution all the way out to the point at infinity. Still what if we wanted to plot a solution valid in the region $ x \ge -10$, for example? How can we improve the accuracy by, for example, specifying more sample points as Mathematica does its computations?



Answer



A method for displaying the correct part of the plot was given in the comments. Thank you! The Update added to the question asks if we can view more of the correct solution.


GraphicsRow[{a, Show[b, PlotRange -> {{-5, 1}, {-2, 2}}]}]


enter image description here


Here is another, probably more difficult question involving transformed regions in the complex plane:


Getting an Accurate Transformed Region (Part II)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?