Skip to main content

tensors - Computations in the exterior algebra


I want to be able to compute with explicit exterior algebras of vector spaces. For example, given a real vector space $V$ of $3 \times 3$ matrices, I want to consider expressions of the form $v\wedge w\in \Lambda^2 V$ and would like Mathematica to understand that $v\wedge w=-w\wedge v$, and $v\wedge w+v\wedge t=v\wedge (w+t)$ etc. In particular, I want to be able to define linear operators on $\Lambda^2 V$ on a basis of decomposable elements and extend it by linearity to all elements. As an example, I would like to define an inner product $$B(x\wedge y,z\wedge w)=\langle x,y\rangle \langle z,w\rangle-\langle x,w\rangle\langle y,z\rangle$$ and have Mathematica understand that $$B(e_1\wedge e_2+e_3\wedge e_4,e_1\wedge e_2-e_3\wedge e_4)=0,$$ where $e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4\in V$ are orthonormal.


So far, my attempts were tricking Mathematica into thinking that $v\wedge w$ is the ordered pair {v,w}, but the problem is that this only makes computations work for decomposable vectors, since it thinks that $e_1\wedge e_2+e_3\wedge e_4=(e_1+e_3)\wedge (e_2+ e_4)$, i.e., {e1,e2}+{e3,e4}={e1+e3,e2+e4}, but I want to rule this out.


The command \wedge in Mathematica does not have a meaning (only makes for a nice display), and I tried using TensorWedge[,] but I can't get it to answer back results of expressions explicitly. I also gave a couple Packages a try, like "Grassmann" and "Ricci", but I feel there should be an easier way of doing this... Any thoughts?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?