Skip to main content

bugs - How to workaround failures with Unicode filepaths?


(Cross-posted on the Wolfram Community, reported to the support as [CASE:3965891].)


The Mathematica's Kernel and FrontEnd currently work well with Unicode file/directory paths, but some other components of the system contain long-standing bugs which are source of troubles for the users, especially for the users from non-English-speaking countries.


The most recent version of Mathematica 12.0 still fails to Import a PDF file when its path contains non-ASCII characters: under Windows Import returns $Failed, under OSX it returns empty list. This is due to a long-standing bug in the component "PDF.exe" which is responsible for importing of PDF files:


Export["Тест.pdf", ""]
Import[%]


"Тест.pdf"    
$Failed


The same is true for Importing Mathematica's native NB files as "Plaintext" due to a similar long-standing bug in "NBImport.exe":


Export["Тест.nb", ""]
Import[%, {"NB", "Plaintext"}]


"Тест.nb"
$Failed

The new in version 11 HTTPRequest/URLRead functionality also suffer from this bug. Here is an attempt to upload an image with non-ASCII filename to imgur.com using the method from this answer:



Export["Тест.png", Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, Pi}]]

URLRead[HTTPRequest[
"http://stackoverflow.com/upload/image", <|
"Body" -> {"image" -> <|"Content" -> File[%], "MIMEType" -> "image/png"|>}|>]]

screenshot


And undoubtedly there are other components suffering from this bug because reports about problems with Unicode filepaths keep appearing on this site.


Hence it is worth to have a dedicated thread with a collection of general techniques allowing to workaround such problems. This thread is intended exactly for this purpose. Some guidelines:




  • When posting an OS-specific workaround, please include information about OS.

  • If a workaround is limited to local file paths and doesn't work for network paths, please mention this.

  • Each answer should contain elaborated description of only one general method along with its limitations.




Related questions:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...