Skip to main content

list manipulation - Scramble matrix under some condition



Assume I have a matrix.


(mat = Partition[Range@9, 3]) // MatrixForm

mat$=\left( \begin{array}{ccc} \color\red1 & \color\red2 & \color\red3 \\ \color\green 4 & \color\green5 & \color\green6 \\ \color{blue}7 & \color{blue}8 &\color{blue} 9 \\ \end{array}\right)$


I would like to scramble matrix matcolunmn-wise to generate all possible new matrix newMat under some condition.




Conditions are:



1) Column elements of mat must stay in their column, i.e. 1st column of newMat must be one of the elements of the Permutations[{1, 4, 7}, {3}]={{1, 4, 7}, {1, 7, 4}, {4, 1, 7}, {4, 7, 1}, {7, 1, 4}, {7, 4, 1}}; And similarly col2 $\in$ Permutations[{2,5,8}, {3}] and col3 $\in$ Permutations[{3,6,9}, {3}].



2) 1st row of mat is {1,2,3} and thus 1st Row entries of newMat, should not contain any of element of this set= {{1, 2}, {1, 3}, {2, 3},{1,2,3}} i.e. pairs or triple. The same for row 2 and row 3.



...............


..................


$\{1,4,7\}$ must stay in the 1st column, $\{2,5,8\}$ must stay in the 2nd column, $\{3,6,9\}$ must stay in the 3rd column. Every row has distinct colors.


....


.....


Some of the undesired newMat: It passes first condition but not second condition. enter image description here


For $3\times3$ there are only 3!2!1!= 12 matrices satisfies the condition which shows below. For $4\times4$ there are only 4!3!2!1!= 288 Good candidate:


newMat$=\left( \begin{array}{ccc} \color{red}1 & \color{blue}8 & \color{green}6 \\ \color{green}4 & \color{red}2 & \color{blue}9 \\ \color{blue}7 & \color{green}5 &\color{red} 3 \\ \end{array} \right)$



I would like to generate all $4\times4$ square matrices and if possible/easy all $5\times4$ matrices (there are 5!4!3!2!=34560). Any suggestion.


Edit


After I used @yohbs code I was able to generate all desired matrices but it is not efficient for $4\times4$ matrices.


   {r, c} = Dimensions[mat];
perms = Permutations[Range@r];
q = 1 + IntegerDigits[Range[(r!)^c], r!, c];
allScrambles =
Transpose[
Table[mat[[perms[[q[[i, j]]]], j]], {j, c}, {i, Length@q}], {3, 1,
2}];



sub = Join @@ (Subsets[#, {2}] & /@ mat);

ArrayPlot[#,
ColorRules -> {1 | 2 | 3 -> Red,
4 | 5 | 6 -> Darker@Green, _ -> Blue},
Epilog -> {MapIndexed[
Text[Style[#1, White, 26], Reverse[#2 - 1/2]] &,
Reverse[#], {2}]}] & /@ sol


enter image description here



Answer



I must have something wrong with my understanding of the criteria because I get a lot more possibilities than what is shown.


Here is my solution:


ClearAll[MatrixOK, matrixSize, mat, sub, columns, columnPermutations, \
allPossibilities, okChoices]
MatrixOK2[matrix_, columns_] :=
Max[Length[#] & /@
Flatten[Outer[Intersection, mat, matrix, 1], 1]] <= 1;

matrixSize = {3, 3};
DateString[]
(mat = ArrayReshape[Range@(Times @@ matrixSize),
matrixSize]) // MatrixForm
sub = Subsets[#, {2, matrixSize[[2]]}] & /@ mat;
columns = Transpose@mat;
columnPermutations = Permutations[#, {matrixSize[[1]]}] & /@ columns;
allPossibilities = Transpose /@ Tuples[columnPermutations];
okChoices =
Select[allPossibilities, MatrixOK2[#, matrixSize[[2]]] &];

DateString[]
Length[allPossibilities]
Length[okChoices]
(* some examples *)
MatrixForm[#] & /@ Take[okChoices, 5]

Edit 2: For the 4x4 case, I get 331776 possibilities and 576 that meet what I think are the criteria. For 3x3, I get 216 possibilities and 12 solutions.


I believe the correct formula for the number of choices for an n by n array is


(Factorial[n])^n


This agrees with the choices that are computed for the 4x4 case. Or, for the case described above that has "matrixSize" describing the {rows, columns},


Factorial[matrixSize[[1]]]^matrixSize[[2]]

EDIT: I believe that there is another way to determine a matrix is OK using this (modified per new understanding):


MatrixOK2[matrix_, columns_] := 
Max[Length[#] & /@
Flatten[Outer[Intersection, mat, matrix, 1], 1]] <= 1;

It doesn't use or need columns but I kept it in for consistency with the previous formula. I'm somewhat surprised that this new formula isn't substantially faster but for 3x3, that isn't the case. For the 4x4, it lowers the wall clock time from 13 seconds to 5 seconds, so it is noticeably faster there. I've confirmed that the results "okChoices" are the same regardless of what check formula I use.


EDIT 2: I now understand that the criteria about not having repetitions of the original rows applies to ALL rows. So, I've modified the second check function to fix this and now get the same number as expected.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...