Skip to main content

functions - Probable Bug in HighlightMesh with 2D Convex Hulls created via ConvexHullMesh


Bug introduced in 10.0 and fixed in 10.2




One nice way to view the new and exciting Mesh objects introduced in Version 10 is by utilizing the function HighlightMesh, so I've been using it heavily. Problem is, when trying to visualize 2D convex hull regions (3D case works fine) created using ConvexHullMesh, HighlightMesh essentially ignores the Options for styling the face of the 2D polygon region. Here is an example:


SeedRandom[0];
pts = RandomReal[4, {200, 2}];

chull = ConvexHullMesh[pts]

Mathematica graphics


Now let's Style it using HighlightMesh


HighlightMesh[chull, {Style[0, Directive[PointSize[0.02], Red]], 
Style[1, Thin, Green], Style[2, Directive[Yellow]]}]

Mathematica graphics


Notice the Yellow Color under Style[2, ..], that's for the Polygon face. This is obviously ignored for the Default color used above. Can anyone reproduce this on Windows 8.1 and other operating systems and is there an easy workaround for this?



Answer




An alternative workaround is to convert the BoundaryMeshRegion into a MeshRegion from the MeshCoordinates and MeshCells. This lets you use HighlightMesh as desired:


SeedRandom[0];
pts = RandomReal[4, {200, 2}];
chull = ConvexHullMesh[pts];
styles = MapThread[Style, {{0, 1, 2}, {Red, Green, Yellow}}];

fullmesh[bm_] := MeshRegion[MeshCoordinates[bm], MeshCells[bm, All]]

HighlightMesh[chull, styles]
HighlightMesh[fullmesh @ chull, styles]


enter image description here enter image description here


Note that this won't work for higher dimensional regions:


MeshCells[ConvexHullMesh[RandomReal[1, {4, 3}]], 3]


MeshCells::cnorep: There is no simple cell representation for the specified cells of the BoundaryMeshRegion in dimension 3.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...