Skip to main content

differential equations - Using NDSolve to find particle trajectory


I'm trying to simulate a particle in an electric and magnetic fields, but numerically instead of analytically. This is basically solving the equation


$$q \cdot \left(p'\times B\right) + q\cdot E = m p'',$$


where $p(t)$ is the position in $(x,y,z)$ coordinates.


After viewing a few topics on this site, I've got a good idea on how to get the solution using NDSolve, but my program gets stuck, and doesn't come up with anything.


b = {1, 0, 0};
e = {0, 0, 1};
q = 1;

m = 1;

sol = NDSolve[ {q*e + q*Cross[D[pos[t], t], b] == m D[pos[t], {t, 2}],
pos[0] == {0, 0, 0}, (D[pos[t], t] /. t -> 0) == {0, 0, 0}},
pos, {t, 0, 1}];
ParametricPlot3D[Evaluate[pos[t] /. sol], {t, 0, 1}];

It is also worth mentioning that if you remove the $q\cdot E$ term, the calculation is finished, but nothing shows up in the plot.



Answer



The main problem is that your pos is not seen as a 3D vector.



The cross product is therefore interpreted as a scalar:


q*Cross[D[pos[t], t], b]

Mathematica graphics


when adding this to the vector q.e this 'scalar' term is added to each of the vector components:


q*e + q*Cross[D[pos[t], t], b]

Mathematica graphics


This won't work, instead do:


b = {1, 0, 0};

e = {0, 0, 1};
q = 1;
m = 1;

Define pos as a 3D vector. Also take more time than a single second:


ClearAll[pos]
pos[t_] = {px[t], py[t], pz[t]};
sol = NDSolve[
{
q*e + q*Cross[D[pos[t], t], b] == m D[pos[t], {t, 2}],

pos[0] == {0, 0, 0},
(D[pos[t], t] /. t -> 0) == {0, 0, 0}
}, pos[t], {t, 0, 20}]

ParametricPlot3D[Evaluate[pos[t] /. sol], {t, 0, 20}]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...