Skip to main content

sorting - How to sort colors properly?


I can't seem to be able to sort colors by their hue and perceptual brightness correctly. Here's my current solution, but it's not right; there are all these dark bands:


c = RandomColor[RGBColor[_, _, _], 500];
o1 = SortBy[c, ColorConvert[#, "HSB"][[1]] &];
o2 = SortBy[c, ColorConvert[#, "LAB"][[2]] &];
Image[#, ImageSize -> 400] & /@ {Table[o1, {100}], Table[o2, {100}]}


my attempt to sort colors


I want to find a way to achieve color sorting that minimizes these bands and smooths the transition along the gradient, something similar to the clustering histograms Theo Gray used in the Disney app.


clustering histograms



Answer



If you're looking for a way to sort the colors in such a way as to make them seem the least discontinuous, then one way to think of it is that each color is a point in a space endowed with a distance metric (either the CIELAB 1976 or the CIELAB2000 perceptual metrics), and you are trying to find a shortest tour that visits each point. We can do that with ColorDistance and FindShortestTour:


c = RandomColor[500];
ord2000 =
FindShortestTour[c,
DistanceFunction -> (ColorDistance[#1, #2,
DistanceFunction -> "CIE2000"] &)][[2]];

ord76 = FindShortestTour[c, DistanceFunction -> ColorDistance][[2]];
Image[Table[c[[ord2000]], {100}]]
Image[Table[c[[ord76]], {100}]]

Giving the following two results:


enter image description here enter image description here


To my eye, it looks like the CIE2000 metric does a slightly better job than the older 1976 variant.


As Mr. Wizard points out, "sorting" colors is sort of like "sorting" random points in a space with more than one dimension: there's no general way to do it that makes sense, since you're trying to impose a linear order on something which has more than one dimension. So the best you can do is find a shortest tour.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...