Skip to main content

replacement - Replace expressions with symbols


First of all: I'm new to Mathematica, so I would appreciate it if the answers are quite complete.


I have the result of calculation that is expressed in $\sin$ and $\cos$. Now, all of these can be rewritten in terms of the values $T_j = \frac\pi{j} (1 - \cos^j(\alpha_\text{max})$). So now my question is, how do I "translate" for example $1 - \cos(\alpha_{\text{max}})$ to $T_1$ using Mathematica? Of course, it sometimes requires some goniometric formulas.


I have tried to use the function Eliminate but it gives me a lot of garbage.


A minimal example:


Eliminate[
Join[{g ==
1/3*Pi*(Subscript[v, y]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^3 -
2*Subscript[v, z]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^3 -
3*Subscript[v, y]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]] +

2*Subscript[v, z]^2 + 2*Subscript[v, y]^2)},
Table[Subscript[t, i] ==
Pi/i (1 - Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^i), {i, 1,
5}]], {Subscript[α, max]}]

--------Edit--------


Following Daniel Lichtblau's code I want to write the following result of an integral in terms of the $T_i$: $\frac16 k^2 \pi [8 - 9 \cos(\alpha_{\text{max}}) + \cos(3 \alpha_{\text{max}})] v_y$. Maple computes this as $\frac23 k^2 [2 + \cos( \alpha_{\text{max}})^3 - 3 \cos(\alpha_{\text{max}})]v_y$ and a FullSimplify tells me that these expressions are actually the same. So, some visual inspection tells me that this is $2(T_1 - T_3)v_y$.


However, the PolynomialReduce yields $\frac16 [-k^2 \pi v_y + k^2 \pi \cos(3 \alpha_{\text{max}}) v_y + 9 k^2 T_1 v_y]$ which is clearly not what I want.



Answer



I'm not really clear on the scope of the question, but this might provide a start.



In[340]:= 
PolynomialReduce[1 - Cos[α], t[1] - π (1 - Cos[α]),
Cos[α]][[2]]

Out[340]= t[1]/Ï€

--- edit ---


Here is your example. I change equations to expressions in effect by taking differences. I create a Groebner basis for the defining expressions; that might not be necessary in this example. I order variables so that the one to be eliminated, Cos[alpha-sub-max], is highest. Your Eliminate came close but I think you'd really need to use Cos[alpha...] instead of just the alpha.


In[348]:= 
vars = Join[{Cos[Subscript[α, max]]},

Table[Subscript[t, i], {i, 1, 5}]];
polys = Table[
Subscript[t, i] == Pi/i (1 - Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^i), {i,
1, 5}];
gb = GroebnerBasis[polys, vars];

Now we can use PolynomialReduce to rewrite the expression of interest, replacing wherever possible that cosine with variables lower in the term order.


In[351]:= 
PolynomialReduce[
1/3*Pi*(Subscript[v, y]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^3 -

2*Subscript[v, z]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^3 -
3*Subscript[v, y]^2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]] +
2*Subscript[v, z]^2 + 2*Subscript[v, y]^2), gb, vars][[2]]

Out[351]= Subscript[t, 1]*Subscript[v, y]^2 -
Subscript[t, 3]*Subscript[v, y]^2 +
2*Subscript[t, 3]*Subscript[v, z]^2

--- end edit ---


--- edit 2 ---



I saw (but no longer can locate) a comment asking about situations where there are related variables such as Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2]. This poses two wrinkles. First is that one will need to work with the smallest fractional angle in order to have polynomial relations between all such angles that can be algebraically related. The second is that one must also add the obvious trig relations such as Sin[XXX]^2+Cos[XXX]^2-1 where XXX is this smallest fractional angle. (Actually I am not sure if this relation must be added, or if GroebnerBasis preprocessing will figure that out for you. Assume it must be added by hand and you won't go too far astray.)


--- end edit 2 ---


--- edit 3 ---


Elaborating on edit 2 using an example from a comment, we use more trig variables and relationship polynomials.


In[74]:= vars = 
Join[{Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2],
Cos[Subscript[α, max]/2], Sin[Subscript[α, max]],
Cos[Subscript[α, max]]}, Table[Subscript[t, i], {i, 1, 5}]];
polys = Join[{Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^2 +
Sin[Subscript[α, max]]^2 - 1,

Cos[Subscript[α, max]/2]^2 +
Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2]^2 - 1,
Cos[Subscript[α,
max]] - (Cos[Subscript[α, max]/2]^2 -
Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2]^2),
Sin[Subscript[α, max]] -
2*Cos[Subscript[α, max]/2]*
Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2]},
Table[Subscript[t, i] -
Pi/i (1 - Cos[Subscript[α, max]]^i), {i, 1, 5}]];

gb = GroebnerBasis[polys, vars];

In[66]:= p1 =
4/3*k^2*Sin[Subscript[α, max]/2]^4*(3*Pi - t[1])*
Subscript[v, y];

In[80]:= PolynomialReduce[p1, gb, vars][[2]]

Out[80]= -((2*(-3*k^2*Pi*Subscript[t, 1]*Subscript[v, y] +
3*k^2*Pi*Subscript[t, 2]*

Subscript[v, y] +
k^2*Subscript[t, 1]*Subscript[v, y]*t[1] -
k^2*Subscript[t, 2]*Subscript[v, y]*t[1]))/(3*Pi))

Here is another requested example. In this case preprocessing with TrigExpand causes a multiple angle trig term to disappear, allowing the polynomial replacement to work to its fullest capability.


In[91]:= p2 = 
1/6*k^2 Pi*(8 - 9*Cos[Subscript[α, max]] +
Cos[3*Subscript[α, max]])*Subscript[v, y];

In[92]:= PolynomialReduce[p2 // TrigExpand, gb, vars][[2]]


Out[92]= 2*(k^2*Subscript[t, 1]*Subscript[v, y] -
k^2*Subscript[t, 3]*Subscript[v, y])

--- end edit 3 ---


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?