Skip to main content

plotting - Mark an 2d-area on a 3dPlot (ListPlot3d)



I have a list {(IC,s,FK)}, which I use to generate a 3d-plot with the help of the command ListPlot3D. IC and s go from 0 to 1.


enter image description here


There is an area (lets say 0.11 < IC < 0.3, 0.1 < s < 0.4) which is specially important, because this is the physical range. For some reason I want to plot the whole parameter space, but highlight (for example with a red rectangle) this physical range. It would be great to frame the physical range with a red rectangle on the surface of the 3d-Plot. (In the end, this 2d-rectangle should look similar to these mesh lines, but it should frame the range, defined above).


Do you have any idea?



Answer



With


 data = Table[{x = RandomReal[{-1, 1}], y = RandomReal[{-1, 1}], x^2 - y^2}, {300}];

Three possible methods are




  1. using ColorFunction

  2. using a combination of Mesh, MeshFunctions and MeshShading, (or, and better yet, just Mesh and MeshShading as in @Brett's answer)

  3. produce two plots using different RegionFunction settings and combine them using Show.


Using ColorFunction:


 ListPlot3D[data, BoxRatios -> Automatic, Mesh -> None, 
ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, If[-.5 < x < .5 && -.3 < y < .1, Red, White]],
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, BoxRatios -> Automatic,
MaxPlotPoints -> 100, Lighting -> "Neutral"]


enter image description here


or with a different setting for the ColorFunction, say:


 ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, If[-.5 < x < .5 && -.3 < y < .1,
ColorData["DeepSeaColors", (1 + x)/2], Directive[Opacity[.7], Hue[(1 + z)/2]]]]

enter image description here


Using Mesh, MeshFunctions and MeshShading:


 ListPlot3D[data,
MeshFunctions -> {Boole[-.5 < #1 < .5 && -.2 < #2 < .75] &},
Mesh -> {{1}}, MeshShading -> {White, Red},

BoxRatios -> Automatic, MaxPlotPoints -> 100, Lighting -> "Neutral"]

enter image description here


Using RegionFunction and Show:


lp1 = ListPlot3D[data,
RegionFunction -> (! (-.5 < #1 < .5 && -.2 < #2 < .75) &),
Mesh -> None, BoxRatios -> 1,
MaxPlotPoints -> 100, Lighting -> "Neutral",
ColorFunction -> (Directive[Opacity[.9], Hue[#1]] &),
Lighting -> "Neutral", ImageSize -> 300];

lp2 = ListPlot3D[data,
RegionFunction -> ((-.5 < #1 < .5 && -.2 < #2 < .75) &),
Mesh -> None, BoxRatios -> 1,
MaxPlotPoints -> 100, Lighting -> "Neutral",
ColorFunction -> (Red &), Lighting -> "Neutral",
ImageSize -> 300];
Panel@Row[{lp1, lp2, Show[{lp1, lp2}]}, Spacer[5]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...