Skip to main content

equation solving - How to substitute the following conditions into an expression?


I have an expression: $p=a\;b\; x + b^2\; y + a\;c\; z$. I want to substitute $a\;b=1$, $b^2 = 2$ and $a\;c = 4$ to obtain $p = x + 2y + 4z$.
How can I tell Mathematica to do that? I dont know how to start.



Answer



A reliable approach would use the third argument of Reduce as variables to eliminate (see Behavior of Reduce with variables as domain)


Reduce[{p == a b x + b^2 y + a c z, a b == 1, b^2 == 2, a c == 4}, {p}, {a, b, c}]



p == x + 2 y + 4 z

In the former editions of Mathematica (ver <= 4) Reduce used the third argument for eliminating another variables. It can be still used this way though it is not documented anymore, however its trace could be found in SystemOptions["ReduceOptions"].
If Reduce didn't work this way one would exploit Solve (it is still supposed to eliminate variables), e.g.:


Apply[ Equal, Solve[{p == a b x + b^2 y + a c z, a b == 1, b^2 == 2, a c == 4}, 
{p}, {a, b, c}], {2}][[1, 1]]

or Eliminate:


Eliminate[{p == a b x + b^2 y + a c z, a b == 1, b^2 == 2, a c == 4}, 
{a, b, c}] // Reverse


or even simply appropriate rules replacement (in general this approach cannot be used seamlessly though)


p == a b x + b^2 y + a c z /. {a b -> 1, b^2 -> 2, a c -> 4} // TraditionalForm

enter image description here


Edit


It would be reasonable to mention another two functions useful in similar tasks. Taking this polynomial identiclly equal to zero:


poly = p - a b x - b^2 y - a c z;

we can rewrite it in terms of another three polynomials which are also identically zeros by the assumptions:



{poly1, poly2, poly3} = {a b - 1, b^2 - 2, a c - 4};

thus we know that the resulting polynomial will be equal to zero as well:


Last @ PolynomialReduce[ poly, {poly1, poly2, poly3}, {a, b, c, p, x, y, z}] == 0


p - x - 2 y - 4 z == 0

similarily we can find a Groebner basis of polynomials { poly, poly1, poly2, poly3} eliminating unwanted variables {a, b, c}:


First @ GroebnerBasis[{ poly, poly1, poly2, poly3}, {x, y, z}, {a, b, c},

MonomialOrder -> EliminationOrder] == 0

These two methods are more useful when we want to find different representations of (polynomial) expressions in polynomial rings, thus we needn't assume that polynomials { poly, poly1, poly2, poly3} identically vanish.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...