Skip to main content

Is there a way to draw a level tree?


Consider the following expression.


expr = {a, {b1, b2}, {c, {d1, d2}}};

One can get the levels in an expression as follows:


ClearAll[levels];
SetAttributes[levels, {HoldAllComplete}];

levels[expr_] :=
Column @ Table[Level[expr, {level}, Heads -> True], {level, 0, Depth[expr]-1}];
levels[expr]

But when I look at the TreeForm of it expr


TreeForm[expr]

I don't see what I expected: the leaf count for this expression should be 10.


LeafCount[expr]


One can try to get the true level tree as follows:


Graph[
{
Sequence @@ (expr\[UndirectedEdge]#& /@ {List, a, {b1, b2}, {c,{d1, d2}}}),
Sequence @@ (expr[[2]]\[UndirectedEdge]#& /@ {List2, b1, b2}),
Sequence @@ (expr[[3]]\[UndirectedEdge]#& /@ {List3, c, {d1, d2}}),
Sequence @@ (expr[[3,2]]\[UndirectedEdge]#& /@ {List4, d1, d2})
}, VertexLabels -> "Name"]

Is there a way to produce this graph for arbitrary expression?



Also, multiple vertices with the same name List get joined so I have to rename them to List1, List2, ..., etc. Is there a way to fix this while keeping the layout of the graph? ` asically, I want to display heads at the same level as their parts, which is their true position in the tree.



Answer



GraphComputation`ExpressionGraph[expr /. List -> (List[List, ##] &)]

enter image description here


TreeForm[expr /. List -> (List[List, ##] &)]

enter image description here


rules = List @@@ SparseArray`ExpressionToTree[expr /. List -> (List[List, ##] &)];
edges = DirectedEdge @@@ (rules[[All, All, 2]] + 1);

vertices = Property[#2 + 1, {VertexLabels -> #3}] & @@@ DeleteDuplicates[Flatten[rules, 1]];

TreeGraph[vertices, edges, ImagePadding -> 40, ImageSize -> 600, VertexSize -> Medium]

enter image description here


Update: An alternative approach is to use the original expression with ExpressionToTree and add new edges:


g1 = Graph[SparseArray`ExpressionToTree[{a, {b1, b2}, {c, foo[d1, d2]}}], 
VertexLabels -> "Name", VertexLabelStyle -> 14, ImageSize -> 600]

enter image description here



newedges = # \[DirectedEdge] 
{Symbol[ToString[Head[First@Last[#]]] <> ToString[#[[2]]]]} & /@
Select[VertexList[g1], Head[#[[1]]] === Symbol &];
VertexReplace[EdgeAdd[g1, newedges], v_ :> Last[v]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...