Skip to main content

Dynamic Delimiter in Manipulate


Consider the following


Manipulate[a,
Dynamic@Grid[{
{"Control 1", Control[{{a, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]},
If[a == 1, {"Subcontrol 1", Control[{{aa, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]},
Unevaluated[Sequence[]]],
{"Control 2", Control[{{b, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]}
},
Spacings -> {Automatic, {2 -> 1}},

Dividers -> {False, {2 -> Manipulate`Dump`$delimitercolor}},
Alignment -> {{Right, Left}, Automatic}],
ControlPlacement -> Left]

enter image description here


My goal is to include a dynamic delimiter between the two controls. Since Delimiter doesn't seem to work within a Grid, an alternative is to use Spacings and Dividers with the right colouring, as previously discussed here.


This solution, however, doesn't account for possible dynamic changes in the Control section. For example, if Control 1 is checked, we get


enter image description here


As one can see, the divider doesn't change position. A solution would be to make the slight change


Spacings -> {Automatic, {2 + a -> 1}},

Dividers -> {False, {2 + a -> Manipulate`Dump`$delimitercolor}}

In this manner, the spacings and dividers change accordingly to Control 1 and I get what I want


enter image description here


However, my code has a great amount of controls of all type, all interconnected and conditioned by Ifs. This would yield a more complex and long manipulation of both Spacings and Dividers. I'm afraid this might slow down the Manipulate interactivity and I feel there must be an easier solution to divider (or delimiter, in my case) positioning.


For example, Spacings could be reasonably replaced by something like {"",""} or {Spacer[x],Spacer[x]} in the Control section. Since I want to keep the Grid layout, getting the right Delimiter look seems somewhat trickier without Dividers.


Any ideas?



Answer



In the meantime, I believe I have found an answer. Might not be the best one, but I'm sharing it anyway.


One thing we could do is to track the position of the specific section I want to delimit. One can do that using Position. In my case, I want to track Control 2. Thus, defining the Grid as grid and Control 2 as ctr2, the following code does what I want



Manipulate[a,
Dynamic@Grid[gri = {
{"Control 1", Control[{{a, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]},
If[a == 1, {"Subcontrol 1", Control[{{aa, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]},
Unevaluated[Sequence[]]],
ctr2 = {"Control 2", Control[{{b, 0, ""}, {1, 0}}]}
},
Spacings -> {Automatic, {Position[gri, ctr2][[1, 1]] -> 1}},
Dividers -> {False, {Position[gri, ctr2][[1, 1]] ->
Manipulate`Dump`$delimitercolor}},

Alignment -> {{Right, Left}, Automatic}],
ControlPlacement -> Left]

enter image description here


Any improvements/suggestions are welcome.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...