Skip to main content

faq - Can I simplify an expression into form which uses my own definitions?


This seems like a simple thing to do, but I couldn't find anything relevant from Mathematica documentation.


So suppose I have an expression:


a*b/(a + a*Cos[a/b])


And I have defined:


k=a/b

Now I want to simplify the expression above so that the simplify would use my definition of k in place of a/b in as many places as possible so that the final expression would look something like:


a/(k+k*Cos[k])

This was just a simple example I made up to demonstrate what I'd like to do, but I have encountered a similar situations many times every now and then.



Answer



Daniel Lichtblau and Andrzej Koslowski posted a solution in mathgroup, which I adjusted marginally. (I like to use german identifiers, because they will never clash with Mma builtins). That's the code:



SetAttributes[termErsetzung,Listable];
termErsetzung[expr_, rep_, vars_] :=
Module[{num = Numerator[expr], den = Denominator[expr],
hed = Head[expr], base, expon},
If[PolynomialQ[num, vars] && PolynomialQ[den, vars] && ! NumberQ[den],
termErsetzung[num, rep, vars]/termErsetzung[den, rep, vars], (*else*)
If[hed === Power && Length[expr] === 2,
base = termErsetzung[expr[[1]], rep, vars];
expon = termErsetzung[expr[[2]], rep, vars];
PolynomialReduce[base^expon, rep, vars][[2]], (*else*)

If[Head[Evaluate[hed]] === Symbol &&
MemberQ[Attributes[Evaluate[hed]], NumericFunction],
Map[termErsetzung[#, rep, vars] &, expr], (*else*)
PolynomialReduce[expr, rep, vars][[2]] ]]]
];

TermErsetzung[rep_Equal,vars_][expr_]:=
termErsetzung[expr,Evaluate[Subtract@@rep],vars]//Union;

Usage is like this:



a*b/(a + a*Cos[a/b]) // TermErsetzung[k b == a, b]


a/(k (1 + Cos[k]))



The first parameter is the "replacement equation", the second the variable (or list of variables) to be eliminated:


a*b/(a + a*Cos[a/b]) // TermErsetzung[k b == a, {a, b}] 


{b/(1 + Cos[k]), a/(k (1 + Cos[k]))}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...