Skip to main content

plotting - Why Plot3D does not accept Epilog option


I am trying to visualize 3D points with Plot3D using the option Epilog. If you check the options of Plot3D ( Options[Plot3D] ), it can be seen that Epilog is one of the options of Plot3D. But when implementing this option not result as expected. for example:


  data = Flatten[
Table[{i, j, i^2 + j^2}, {i, -2, 2, .5}, {j, -2, 2, .5}], 1];
Plot3D[Exp[-x^2 - y^2], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},

Epilog -> {PointSize[Large], Point[data]}, PlotRange -> All]

Of course there is another ways (like using Show), but the question is why Plot3D does not accept its own option?



Answer




Why does Plot3D not accept its own option?



But it does accept it just fine, as Kuba's comment shows:


Plot3D[Exp[-x^2 - y^2], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
Epilog -> {PointSize[Large], Point[{.5, .5}]}, PlotRange -> All]


I guess you mean to ask,



Why does Plot3D not accept 3D graphics in Epilog?



Because Epilog is for drawing things in front of the plot, just as Prolog is for drawing things behind the plot. So, the ordering is: a flat 2D layer for Prolog, then the 3D plot, then a flat 2D layer for Epilog. (Like a sandwich... mmm.) If Epilog accepted 3D graphics, then they would exist in the same space as the plot itself, and would not always appear in front.


(Actually, Mathematica could in principle allow 3D graphics in Epilog by rendering them with the same viewpoint but on a separate buffer and then compositing the result on top of the plot, so that you would always see them even when they are geometrically behind the plot. But I imagine that would be rarely useful and often confusing.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...