Skip to main content

list manipulation - Failure in integrating from an interpolating function!



Consider a list like below:


ttable={{0, 2.6596 - 66.137 I}, {1/9, 2.45339 - 65.3148 I}, {2/9, 
1.82053 - 62.8922 I}, {1/3, 0.720006 - 58.9982 I}, {4/
9, -0.911205 - 53.8382 I}, {5/9, -3.15056 - 47.6797 I}, {2/
3, -6.08057 - 40.8346 I}, {7/9, -9.77826 - 33.6382 I}, {8/
9, -14.3047 - 26.4282 I}, {1, -19.6947 - 19.5216 I}}`

by defining "f" as interpolating function we'll have:


f = Interpolation[ttable] 


now we define ff as the following integration:


ff[\[Xi]_]:=NIntegrate[(f[rr]) Cos[rr \[Xi]], {rr, 0, 1}] 

the first problem is that this function can not be calculated and I have no idea why the followoing error happens:


In[87]:= ff[.1]
During evaluation of In[87]:= NIntegrate::inumr: The integrand Cos[rr \[Xi]] InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,1.}},{4,15,0,{10},{4},0,0,0,0,Automatic,{},{},False},<<1>>,{
Developer`PackedArrayForm,{0,<<10>>},{2.6596 -66.137 I,<<8>>,-19.6947-19.5216 I}},{Automatic}][rr] has evaluated to non-numerical values for all sampling points in the region with boundaries {{0,0.111111}}. >>
Out[87]= NIntegrate[f[rr] Cos[rr \[Xi]],{rr,0,1}]

The other thing should be mentioned is that I have to use ff in integrand of another integration like below:



NIntegrate[ff[\[Xi]] * \[Xi],{\[Xi],0,3}] 

I've manipulated the former equations in many ways but none of them made an accurate output for the last integration, so I would be greatly thankful if somebody out there could help me!



Answer



The most important information is that you used your function ff inside another NIntegrate, because this is the source of confusion. What you have to know is that NIntegrate doesn't start right away with the numerical calculation when you call


NIntegrate[ff[ξ]*ξ, {ξ, 0, 3}]

It will try to do some analysis of your integrand and most likely, it will try to evaluate ff[ξ] without putting in numbers. And what happens then? Right, you call the NIntegrate of ff without proper numerical value of ξ:



Mathematica graphics




The solution is pretty simple: Change your definition of ff so that it only calls its NIntegrate body when the argument is indeed numeric:


ClearAll[ff];
ff[ξ_?NumericQ] := NIntegrate[(f[rr]) Cos[rr ξ], {rr, 0, 1}]
NIntegrate[ff[ξ]*ξ, {ξ, 0, 3}]

(* 4.28747 - 124.522 I *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...