Skip to main content

list manipulation - How to construct tuples with a given order?


How do I create a list of tuples with an ordering imposed on them, where each element is from a generating set? Specifically, I'm trying to create a listing of tuples $(x_1, x_2, ..., x_n)$ such that $x_1 > x_2$, $x_2 \leq x_3 \leq \cdots x_n$ where each $x_i$ is in (say) $X = \{a,b,c,d\}$. The elements of $X$ are in lexicographic order.



Code:


rank = 4;
weight = 3;

X = Range[rank];
bc = Tuples[X, weight];
Cases[bc, {x1_, x2_, x3_} /; x1 > x2 && x2 <= x3]

Issues 1. rank and weight are independent; they don't need to be =. 2. I'd like to say x1_, .., xrank_, but I'm not sure how to specify x_rank. Also x2 <= x3 <= ... <= xrank. (I'll loop on rank and weight, so these won't be hard-coded values.) 3. At the end, 1, 2, ..., rank should be traded for a, b, ... (whatever letter).



Answer




If I understand the question generating all Tuples and then filtering is wasteful, and will "blow up" for long sets. Since you want all but one element in canonical order I believe you should generate those, then prefix as needed to complete the sequence.


Here is a mundane loop-based way to build the tuples; I couldn't think of anything that ran faster.


tuples[rank_Integer, k_Integer] :=
Block[{i},
i[0] = 1;
Flatten[
Table @@ Join[{First /@ #}, #] &@Array[{i[#], i[# - 1], rank} &, k - 1],
k - 2
]
] // Join @@ (Table[{i, ##}, {i, # + 1, rank}] & @@@ #) &


Example:


tuples[5, 3]


{{2, 1, 1}, {3, 1, 1}, {4, 1, 1}, {5, 1, 1}, {2, 1, 2}, {3, 1, 2}, {4, 1, 2}, {5, 1, 2},
{2, 1, 3}, {3, 1, 3}, {4, 1, 3}, {5, 1, 3}, {2, 1, 4}, {3, 1, 4}, {4, 1, 4}, {5, 1, 4},
{2, 1, 5}, {3, 1, 5}, {4, 1, 5}, {5, 1, 5}, {3, 2, 2}, {4, 2, 2}, {5, 2, 2}, {3, 2, 3},
{4, 2, 3}, {5, 2, 3}, {3, 2, 4}, {4, 2, 4}, {5, 2, 4}, {3, 2, 5}, {4, 2, 5}, {5, 2, 5},
{4, 3, 3}, {5, 3, 3}, {4, 3, 4}, {5, 3, 4}, {4, 3, 5}, {5, 3, 5}, {5, 4, 4}, {5, 4, 5}}


You can fill these tuples with arbitrary expressions like this:


x = {"a", "b", "c", "d", "e"};

x[[#]] & /@ tuples[5, 3]


{{"b", "a", "a"}, {"c", "a", "a"}, {"d", "a", "a"}, . . .
{"e", "c", "e"}, {"e", "d", "d"}, {"e", "d", "e"}}


The function will work on values that would not work with Tuples:


tuples[12, 8] // Length


306306



Using Tuples before filtering would generate 12^8 = 429,981,696 sets.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...