Skip to main content

geographics - Generating different GeoPaths for multiple equivalent segments


Is there an efficient and elegant method so that multiple calls of GeoPath for the same segment (path) yield visibly separate segments on a map?


For instance, this code calls two "equivalent" GeoPaths (from China to Brazil):


GeoGraphics[
{Red, Thick,
GeoPath[#] & /@
{{Entity["Country", "China"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]},
{Entity["Country", "China"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]}}},

GeoRange -> "World"]

Two GeoPaths overlapping


Because the GeoPaths are the same, the two overlap and appear as a single segment or path.


The same problem arises if one uses specific locations, such as:


{CityData["BuenosAires", "Coordinates"], CityData["Beijing", "Coordinates"]}

I'd like to displace each path slightly, so that the two paths (or in general $n$ paths) appear separate (even if $n-1$ paths are not geodesics). Note that such displacement is done automatically in renderings of edges in Multigraphs. (Background: I want to plot a complicated multi-city itinerary in which several legs of the trip were between the same pair of cities.)


I could do this "by hand," for each such set of overlapping paths (either by displacing, or using dashes and coloring, etc.), but I'm seeking a far more elegant and automatic method.


Ideally, I think Wolfram should implement an option for GeoGraphics such as MultiSegment -> True which draws the $n$ separate paths, even if they are specified in a non-sequential order such as:



{{Entity["Country", "India"], Entity["Country", "China"]}, 
{Entity["Country", "China"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]},
{Entity["Country", "Brazil"], Entity["Country", "Chile"]},
{Entity["Country", "Chile"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]},
{Entity["Country", "Brazil"], Entity["Country", "China"]}}

Answer



A completely different answer, this time ignoring Geo methods and focusing on Graph connectivity: just place the Graph object on the map.


Take your entity pairs:


ents = {
{Entity["Country", "India"], Entity["Country", "China"]},

{Entity["Country", "China"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]},
{Entity["Country", "Brazil"], Entity["Country", "Chile"]},
{Entity["Country", "Chile"], Entity["Country", "Brazil"]},
{Entity["Country", "Brazil"], Entity["Country", "China"]}
};

Draw a map with those entities. This time we use the Mollweide projection and a vector background:


map = GeoGraphics[ents, GeoProjection -> "Mollweide", GeoBackground -> "CountryBorders"];

Extract the actual projection used by GeoGraphics. Recall that GeoGraphics adds parameters to the projection to adapt it to the situation, unless those parameters are explicit:



proj = GeoProjection /. Options[map, GeoProjection]
(* {"Mollweide", "Centering" -> GeoPosition[{-1.07727, 29.5607}]} *)

Now, eliminate duplicate entities and find their respective projected coordinates:


uents = Union[Flatten[ents]]
(* {Entity["Country", "Brazil"], Entity["Country", "Chile"],
Entity["Country", "China"], Entity["Country", "India"]} *)

coords = GeoGridPosition[GeoPosition[uents], proj][[1]]
(* {{-1.31625, -0.19348}, {-1.44548, -0.571304},

{1.04746, 0.66214}, {0.717329, 0.384687}} *)

Construct a Graph object using those coordinates:


graph = Graph[uents, UndirectedEdge @@@ ents, VertexCoordinates -> coords]

And finally show the map and the graph together (Show should be able to merge directly the GeoGraphics and Graph objects, but currently we need to extract the Graphics from GeoGraphics):


Show[map[[1]], graph]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...