Skip to main content

core language - What is the fastest way to get a list of subexpressions and their positions?


I have spent quite some time trying to figure out what the fastest way is to get a list lists of all subexpressions and their positions. I have tried things with MapIndexed, which seems ideal in cases where we have an expression in which no functions with Hold-Attributes are present that we can let evaluate freely. For Held expressions, however, I found using MapIndexed complicated and I was unable to get a practical solution using this. Furthermore, I have tried things with Extract and Position.



All these things were hinted at in the comments of/answers to the positionFunction question by Mr.Wizard, which caused me to be interested in this. Because I have spent time on this and because I feel this is quite a fundamental question, I would like to get some feedback. To be fair, I am also quite glad with my own answer, as it is considerably faster than the alternatives I found (although it took me a long time), but if there are better alternatives I would be even gladder to know. Lastly, it may be nice for me to refer to this Q&A later, if I ever write a good answer to Mr.Wizards question.


The question is: What is the fastest way to get a list of lists of subexpressions and their positions, that works with held expressions?



Test expressions


Let's make a big expression to do tests with. Let


body[i_][n_] := If[n < i, head[body[i][n + 1], body[i][n + 1]], 1];
tree12 = head[body[12][1]];
tree3 = head[body[3][1]];

We have



LeafCount[tree12] == 2^12 && LeafCount[tree3] == 2^3


(True)




Answer



I'm not certain I understand your goals, though I too wish there were a cleaner way to do this.
I presume that you are dissatisfied with the performance of this fairly direct solution:


index[expr_] := {Extract[expr, #, HoldComplete], #} & /@ Position[expr, _]


Your own method using both Position and Level is a clever way to vectorize this as it were. I do not understand why you gave your toExprPosLists function a hold attribute at this would seem to only complicate using it. Perhaps you would find value in this:


index2[expr_, lev_ : {0, -1}] := 
Thread[{Level[expr, lev, HoldComplete, Heads -> True],
HoldComplete @@ Position[expr, _, lev]}, HoldComplete]

This returns something similar to your function and it is faster:


time = Function[x, First@Timing@Do[x, {500}]/500, HoldAll];

toExprPosLists @@ {tree12} // time
index[tree12] // time

index2[tree12] // time


0.003432

0.005648

0.00184

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...