Skip to main content

plotting - How do I create an ellipse bubble chart?



I have some data that I would like to plot as a bubble chart. The data is formatted as {{val1_mean,val1_sd,val2_mean,val2_sd},{val1_mean,......}}. What I would like to do is plot a bubble chart where the x/y location of the bubble is val1_mean,val2_mean and the width/height of the bubble is val1_sd,val2_sd.


So far I've been able to do circular bubble charts with the inbuilt function but am a bit lost as to how to make the bubbles ellipses instead of circles.


Here's the code I've written so far;


bubleData={{1.88308*10^6, 1024.85, 149446., 6636.62}, {1.98345*10^6, 15022.5, 
126966., 7071.75}, {1.94677*10^6, 9281.83, 131930.,
7435.15}, {1.88308*10^6, 1024.85, 127423., 8718.36}};
BubbleChart[bubbleData[[All, 1 ;; 3]],ChartStyle -> Directive[Opacity[0.5]]]

enter image description here



Answer




To use BubbleChart as you have indicated in your comment to Jonathan's answer, a bit of work is required. First, BubbleChart expects data of the form:


{x, y, w}

So, we need to turn your data into something like that, but we need to take a pointer from the documentation to include all of the data. To do that, we add the extra information as metadata:


{#1, #2, 1} -> {##3}& @@@ bubbledata

which returns


{{1.88308*10^6, 1024.85, 1} -> {149446., 6636.62}, 
{1.98345*10^6, 15022.5, 1} -> {126966., 7071.75},
{1.94677*10^6, 9281.83, 1} -> {131930., 7435.15},

{1.88308*10^6, 1024.85, 1} -> {127423., 8718.36}}

where the 1 acts as a placeholder. Now we create a custom ChartElementFunction:


f[_, v_, {meta_}, ___] := Disk[Most @ v, meta]

where I determined from experimentation that the third parameter is the data point itself, so we strip off the last element. Putting it all together,


BubbleChart[{#1, #2, 1} -> {##3}& @@@ bubbledata, 
ChartElementFunction -> f,
PlotRange -> {{1.70*^6, 2.15*^6}, {-10000, 23000}},
PerformanceGoal -> "Speed"

]

gives


bubble chart with ellipses


Two things to note about the final code:



  1. The PlotRange required a lot of manual adjustment.

  2. I used PerformanceGoal -> "Speed" to eliminate the mouseover effects that are normally there as they only show the placeholder I used, so they are not that useful here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...