Skip to main content

import - Importing data sets from plain-text files and performing operations on them


I am working with a lot of daily weather files in the txt format. I need to calculate a daily quantity from each of them, e.g., daily light intensity, which involves a simple summation of the light intensity column in Excel. As I am working with over three years of data, it is not possible to do this manually.


How can I automate this in Mathematica? Currently I import all the files using the following method. (Example shown is for Jan 1 to Jan 31)


filenames = FileNames[];  
TestList = Flatten[Table[Files[[j, i]], {j, 1, 31}, {i, 2, 1437}], 1];
LightIntensity = TestList[[1 ;;, 5]];
DailyLightIntensity = Partition[LightIntensity, 1436];

DailySummation = Table[Total[DailyLightIntensity[[i]]], {i, 1, 31}]

The method above only works assuming all the txt files contain rows from 2 to 1436, so I can use Partition, but I also need to handle cases with missing data.


I want to automate this process with Mathematica , import each txt file separately, perform the necessary calculations, and store the answer. How can this be done?


The naming convention of the txt is given below:



[112] 2012-01-01
[112] 2012-01-02
[112] 2012-01-03
[112] 2012-01-04

...
[112] 2012-12-31




Answer



This can be a starting point:


data=Rest@Import["http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10371498/SampleFile.txt", "TSV"];
{First@StringSplit[data[[1, 1]]],Total[data[[All,2]]]}

So you get:


{"1/1/12", 308439.}


For many files and for filter data you can create a function like:


resumeFile[fileName_]:=Module[{data},
data=Rest@Import[fileName, "TSV"];
data=Select[data, #[[2]] > 50 &];
{First@StringSplit[data[[1, 1]]],Total[data[[All,2]]]}
]

And make it operate in each txt like:


SetDirectory@"C:/txtPath"

files=FileNames["[112]*.txt"]
resumeFile/@files

You should get a list:


{{"1/2/12", 308439.},{"1/2/12", 208389.}, ... , {"1/3/12", 508439.}}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...