Skip to main content

plotting - Only significands on y-axis


I would like to create plot similiar to this: matlabplot


where significands are on y-axis, while $ \times 10^{4} $ is above the plot (or could be placed at any place in graph). So far I managed to get only exponent right, using this code:


f[x_] := 100 Exp[x] Sin[20  x];
ymax = 1.5*^4;
ymin = -1.5*^4;
xticks = {#, #} & /@ Range[0, 5, 0.5];
yticks =
Map[
{#, NumberForm[#, {3, 1}, ExponentFunction -> (4 &)]} &,

N[FindDivisions[{ymin, ymax}, 6]]];

Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5},
PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {ymin, ymax}},
Frame -> True,
FrameTicks -> {{yticks, None}, {xticks, None}},
Axes -> False]

I will be grateful for any help.



Answer




You can use the internal function Charting`ScaledTicks to get the needed ticks:


plot = Plot[
f[x],
{x, 0, 5},
PlotRange->{{0,5}, {-15000,15000}},
Frame->True,
FrameTicks->{{Charting`ScaledTicks[{10^4#&, 10^-4#&}],None}, {Automatic,None}}
]

enter image description here



If you want to add $\times 10^{4}$ above the plot, you need to expand the padding. A good way to do this is to use my GraphicsInformation function to obtain this information. Install with:


PacletInstall[
"GraphicsInformation",
"Site" -> "http://raw.githubusercontent.com/carlwoll/GraphicsInformation/master"
]

Then, load it:


<

The image padding is then:



pad = "ImagePadding" /. GraphicsInformation[plot]


{{23., 4.}, {17., 6.5}}



So, the final plot looks like:


Show[
plot,
Epilog -> Text[Row@{"\[Times] ", Superscript[10, 4]}, Offset[{0, 10}, Scaled[{0, 1}]], {-1, 0}],
PlotRangeClipping->False,

ImagePadding -> pad + {{0, 0}, {0, 14}}
]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...