Skip to main content

numerical integration - Is it possible to set a variable as a positive one in the whole notebook?


I'm having issues during integration due to the fact that Mathematica doesn't know if an undefined variable is positive or not (it gives me complexes which bothers me in the end).


For example I do this:



yy[x_, t_] = aa[t]*(Cos[0.1*x]-Cosh[0.1 x]-Sin[0.1 x]+Sinh[0.1 x])

Integrate[D[yy[x, t], t]^2, {x, 0, 18}]

gives me:



(10.1601 + 0.I) aa'[t]²



while the 0.I shouldn't be here. By using:


Integrate[D[yy[x, t], t]^2, {x, 0, 18}, Assumptions -> aa[t] > 0]


I get rid of the imaginary part but this has to be done cell by cell.


Then comes my questions, is it possible to define, in that case, aa[t] as a posivite variable in the whole notebook and not cell by cell?
Note that in this expample the I is not bothering at all, but with concrete numbers it messes everything up, even by using Chop.



Answer



You can modify the global system variable $Assumptions, to get the effect you want:


$Assumptions = aa[t] > 0

Then


Integrate[D[yy[x, t], t]^2, {x, 0, 18}]



10.1601 Derivative[1][aa][t]^2

This may, however, be somewhat error-prone. Here is how I'd do this with local environments. This is a generator for a local environment:


createEnvironment[assumptions_] :=
Function[code,
Block[{$Assumptions = $Assumptions && assumptions}, code],
HoldAll];


We now create one:


$Assumptions = True;
env = createEnvironment[aa[t] > 0];

To use it, prefix the intergal with it:


env@Integrate[D[yy[x,t],t]^2,{x,0,18}]


 10.1601 (aa^\[Prime])[t]^2


This is a bit more work since you have to prefix, but it is safer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...