Skip to main content

implicit - Plotting a function with implicitly defined variable


I have a question about plotting a function with an implicitly defined variable. I think the solution should be something similar like here: Define a function with variables linked implicitly but I quite can't get it to work. I apologize if this has been asked for, I tried doing a thorough search before asking. Anyway, I am trying to plot the following function:


$$ u(x,y,t)=\text{sgn}(x+y-t+r(t))\big(e^{-\vert x+y-t+r(t) \vert }-1\big)+r(t)e^{-\vert x+y+r(t)+\ln(\frac{1}{9}r(t)^2-\frac{1}{2}r(t)+1)\vert} $$ where $r(t)$ is implicitly defined with the following equation $$ \ln\vert r(t)\vert-\frac{1}{2}\ln\vert r(t)^2-\frac{9}{2}r(t)+9\vert+\frac{3\sqrt{}{7}}{7}\tan^{-1}\big(\frac{4r(t)-9}{3\sqrt{}{7}}\big)=2t. $$ Ultimately, I would like to use Plot3D for $u(x,y)$ and use Manipulate to see the function at different time steps of $t$. Thank you in advance for your time and help. It's greatly appreciated.


Edit: Here is some mathematica format to make life easier:


Sign[x + y - t + r] (Exp[-Abs[x + y - t + r]] -1) + r*Exp[-Abs[x + y - t + Log[1/9*r^2 - 1/2*r + 1]]]


and


Log[Abs[r]] + 1/2 Log[Abs[r^2 - 9/2 r + 9]] +3 Sqrt[7]/7*ArcTan[(4 r - 9)/(3 Sqrt[7])]

Answer



u[x_?NumericQ, y_?NumericQ, t_?NumericQ] := 
Sign[x + y - t + rr[t]] (Exp[x + y - t + rr[t]] - 1) +
rr[t]*Exp[x + y - t + Log[1/9*rr[t]^2 - 1/2*rr[t] + 1]]
rr[t_] := r /. FindRoot[ 2 t - Log[Abs[r]] + (1/2) Log[Abs[r^2 - 9/2 r + 9]] +
3 Sqrt[7]/7*ArcTan[(4 r - 9)/(3 Sqrt[7])], {r, 1}]

This can plot it, options added for some speed



ContourPlot3D[u[x, y, t], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {t, -1, 1},
PlotPoints -> 5, MaxRecursion -> 1, Mesh -> None, Contours -> 4]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...