Skip to main content

fourier analysis - Workarounds for a possible bug in the linearity of FourierTransform


This is somewhat similar to this question, except the problem I am encountering is to do with Fourier transforms of scalar multiples of functions and their derivatives.


I wish to input FourierTransform[a*f[t],t,x] and have Mathematica simplify it to a*FourierTransform[f[t],t,x], and, equivalently, to input FourierTransform[f'[t],t,x] and have Mathematica simplify it to ix*FourierTransform[f[t],t,x]. I'm taking the Fourier transform of a system of differential equations for functions f[t],g[t], etc., in order to instead only have to solve a system of algebraic equations for their Fourier transforms, but Mathematica seems to be having some problems doing this.


Note that LaplaceTransform works exactly as expected, but for some reason FourierTransform doesn't perform the expected simplification. If someone could suggest a solution that also incorporates the distributive property that FourierTransform was shown to have a problem with in the question I linked, that would be ideal.



This is essentially what I'd like FourierTransform to do:


LaplaceTransform[{a*f[t]+b*g'[t]==0,c*f'[t]+d*g[t]==0},t,x]


which returns:


{a*LaplaceTransform[f[t],t,x]+b*(-g[0]+x*LaplaceTransform[g[t],t,x])==0,
c*(-f[0]+x*LaplaceTransform[f[t],t,x])+d*LaplaceTransform[g[t],t,x]==0}

Instead, however, FourierTransform of the same expression returns:


{FourierTransform[a*f[t]+b*g'[t]==0,t,x],FourierTransform[c*f'[t]+d*g[t]==0,t,x]}


There is a solution to this problem here, although it doesn't actually explain FourierTransform's strange functionality.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...