Skip to main content

numerical integration - Can you use "MaxErrorIncreases" when numerically integrating over a region?



How do you pass the option "MaxErrorIncreases" to NIntegrate[] when integrating over a region?


Taking a simple ;) example from Problems with NIntegrate, errors NIntegrate::slwcon and NIntegrate::inumri:


Ω = ImplicitRegion[
0 <= x <= 34 && -18 <= y <= 0 && ! ((12 < x < 15 && -12 < y) ||
(15 < x < 20 && -3 < y) || (20 < x < 23 && -7 < y) ||
(23 < x <= 34 && -3 < y)), {x, y}];
fi = NDSolve[{
Derivative[0, 2][φ][x, y] + Derivative[2, 0][φ][x, y] == NeumannValue[0,
x == 0 && -18 < y < 0 || 0 < x < 34 && y == -18 ||
x == 34 && -18 < y < -3 || x == 23 && -7 < y < -3 ||

20 < x < 23 && y == -7 || x == 20 && -7 < y < -3 ||
15 < x < 20 && y == -3 || x == 15 && -12 < y < -3 ||
12 < x < 15 && y == -12 || x == 12 && -12 < y < 0],
DirichletCondition[φ[x, y] == 1.5, 0 <= x <= 12 && y == 0],
DirichletCondition[φ[x, y] == 0.4, 23 <= x <= 34 && y == -3]},
φ, {x, y} ∈ Ω,
"ExtrapolationHandler" -> {0 &, "WarningMessage" -> False}];

Then on this integral we get a warning that suggests raising "MaxErrorIncreases":


ClearAll[ff];

dxφ = Derivative[1, 0][φ] /. First[fi];
ff[x_?NumericQ, y_?NumericQ] := Quiet@Check[dxφ[x, y], 0.];
NIntegrate[ff[x, y], {x, y} ∈ Ω]


NIntegrate::eincr: The global error of the strategy GlobalAdaptive has increased more than 2000 times....Increasing the value of the GlobalAdaptive option MaxErrorIncreases might lead to a convergent numerical integration....



However, using the usual Method setting results in an error:


NIntegrate[ff[x, y], {x, y} ∈ Ω, Method -> {"GlobalAdaptive", "MaxErrorIncreases" -> 5000}]



NIntegrate::regm: Method GlobalAdaptive is not applicable for a region domain. Continuing with method Automatic.



Is it possible to use "MaxErrorIncreases" with NIntegrate[] over a region?



Answer



I found the strategy, "SymbolicDomainDecomposition":


NIntegrate[ff[x, y], {x, y} ∈ Ω, 
Method -> {"SymbolicDomainDecomposition",
Method -> {"GlobalAdaptive", "MaxErrorIncreases" -> 5000}}]



NIntegrate::eincr: The global error of the strategy GlobalAdaptive has increased more than 5000 times....



(*  -6.0019  *)

It turns out not to be good way to integrate this function. Even with a setting of "MaxErrorIncreases" -> 100000, the result still has a large error. There are better methods for the example integral in the OP, which may be found in the linked question.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...