Skip to main content

Getting a usable expression tree


I need to get the expression tree for some expression.


expr //TreeForm

The above grabs the expression tree but it isn't in some sort of usable format. Just an image.


Level[expr, {-1}, "Heads"->True]


This does a depth first traversal of the expression tree and does give me a list of all items in the expression tree. The issue with this is that:


expr = a+b*3*c+d
Level[expr, {-1}, "Heads"->True]
{Plus, a, Times, 3, b, c, d}

and now you can see that because of the location of d I have no information on what goes where with Levels.


So the question is, is there a way for me to get the expression tree in some format where I can actually tell where everything is supposed to go?


Acceptable formats would be of the form of {operator/operatorFunctionName, symbol/value, {operator/operatorFunctionName, symbol/value, {... continues as far as can go}}, moreSymbolsRelatedToFirstOperation}


OR



{operator/operatorFunctionName, operator/operatorFunctionName, ...} {{symbol/valueForFirstOperator, ...}, {symbol/valueForSecondOperator,...}, ...}


OR any other similar format.



Answer



Please let me know if this is moving in the right direction:


expr = a + b*3*c + d;

Replace[expr, h_[x___] :> {x}, {0, -1}]


{a, {3, b, c}, d}


Given that heads are lost here, perhaps you want something like:


Replace[expr, h_[x___] :> {h, x}, {0, -1}]


{Plus, a, {Times, 3, b, c}, d}

If this is close to what you a related question that you should read is:
List manipulation to build a functional expression





Note: you may be tempted to try to simplify the code above by using ReplaceAll (short form /.) but you will find that it doesn't work. That's because the order of traversal is the opposite of Replace, despite the similar names.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...