Skip to main content

programming - How to use classical data structure in Mathematica



As a C programmer, I have used Mathematica for a month. In this process, I discovered that some problems cannot be solved via the built-ins, owing to lacking of data structure like binary tree, quartic tree, half-edge, etc. So I would like know how to use the classical data structure in Mathematica.


quadtree quadtree refinement



Answer



Here'a quad-tree index (trie) illustrating the compact codes and efficiency enabled by nested Associations and recursive Queries - no looping, no NestWhile or Fold is used.


Compare to earlier implementations, eg here. Also addresses "can a Trie be implemented efficiently?"


Included are timing studies suggesting empirical n*Log[n] complexity over 6 orders of magnitude.


Generic Helper Functions


jointKeyValueApply[f_][k_->v_]:=k->f[k,v]

associationKeyValueMap[f_]:=AssociationMap[jointKeyValueApply[f]]


This is a variation on KeyValueMap that preserves Association structure, eg:


<|"a" -> 1, "b" -> 2|> // associationKeyValueMap[f]


<|"a" -> f["a", 1], "b" -> f["b", 2]|>



Quad-Index Specific Helper Functions


boxMean[Rectangle[{x0_, y0_}, {x1_, y1_}]] := {x0 + x1, y0 + y1}/2;


boxSplit[Rectangle[{x0_, y0_}, {x1_, y1_}]] := {{x0, (x0 + x1)/2,
x1}, {y0, (y0 + y1)/2, y1}};

• boxClassify takes the truth-values output by GroupBy eg {True,False}, and maps them to coordinates.


boxClassify[r_Rectangle][{x_, 
y_}] := {boxSplit[
r], {x, y} /. {False -> {1, 2}, True -> {2, 3}}} //
Transpose // Map[Apply@Part] // Transpose // Apply[Rectangle];

• boundingBoxAssociation takes a key, eg "pos" here, and computes a bounding box and associates it as root key with the data as values.



 boundingBoxAssociation[pointKey_][data_List] :=  
Query[{Query[All, pointKey] /* transposeCommute[Map[MinMax]] /*
Apply[Rectangle], Identity} /* Apply[Rule] /* Association][
data];

Recursive Query


groupByQuad[bucketSize_][box_Rectangle, data_List] := 
If[Length[data] > bucketSize,
data // GroupBy[
Thread[#pos > boxMean[box] ] & /* boxClassify[box]] //

associationKeyValueMap[groupByQuad[bucketSize]], data];

Indexer Function


quadIndex[pointKey_, bucketSize_][data_List] := 
boundingBoxAssociation[pointKey][data] //
associationKeyValueMap[groupByQuad[bucketSize]];

USAGE


Point Cloud Association


• Foo is a generic to illustrate that payload can be associated with each point stored in "pos" key:



gaussianPointData[n_] :=  
RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], {n, 2}] //
Map[<|"pos" -> #, "foo" -> 0|> &] ;

Dataset indexed to 6 orders of magnitude


pointDS = <|
Table[ToString[exp] -> gaussianPointData[10^exp], {exp, 1, 6}]|> //
Dataset;

That is:



pointDS[All, Length]

enter image description here


Timing Studies


• 2013 iMac w/ 32GB


timingStudy["bucket size 1"] = 
pointDS[All, quadIndex["pos", 1] /* Timing]; // Timing


{379.58, Null}




timingStudy["bucket size 5"] = 
pointDS[All, quadIndex["pos", 5] /* Timing]; // Timing


{285.578, Null}



• Timing by input size:


{timingStudy["bucket size 1"] [All, First], timingStudy["bucket size 5"] [All, First]}


enter image description here



• Plot


ListPlot[{Normal@timingStudy["bucket size 1"] [Values, First], 
Normal@timingStudy["bucket size 5"] [Values,
First], (#*Log[4, #]/30000. &) /@ Table[10^exp, {exp, 1, 6}] },
Joined -> True, PlotRange -> All, Frame -> True]

enter image description here


Figures


• Bucket size 1, 100pts


timingStudy["bucket size 1"][2, 

Last /* associationKeyFlatten][{Keys /* Flatten,
Query[Values, Apply[Point], "pos"]}] //
Normal // (Graphics[{FaceForm[None], EdgeForm[{Thin, Blue}], #},
PlotRange -> 3 {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}, Frame -> True] &)

enter image description here


• bucket size 1, 1k points:


timingStudy["bucket size 1"][3, 
Last /* associationKeyFlatten][{Keys /* Flatten,
Query[Values, Apply[Point], "pos"]}] //

Normal // (Graphics[{FaceForm[None], EdgeForm[{Thin, Blue}], #},
PlotRange -> 3.5 {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}, Frame -> True] &)

enter image description here


• bucket size 5, 1k points:


timingStudy["bucket size 10"][3, 
Last /* associationKeyFlatten][{Keys /* Flatten,
Query[Values, Map[Point], "pos"]}] //
Normal // (Graphics[{FaceForm[None], EdgeForm[{Thin, Blue}], #},
PlotRange -> 4 {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}, Frame -> True] &)


enter image description here


Output Description


• Showing nested Association (trie) structure


timingStudy["bucket size 1"][1, Last] // Normal


<|Rectangle[{-1.44554,-1.22553},{1.85318,0.992471}]-><|Rectangle[{0.203821,-0.116532},{1.85318,0.992471}]-><|Rectangle[{0.203821,0.43797},{1.0285,0.992471}]->{<|pos->{0.315051,0.992471},foo->0|>},Rectangle[{0.203821,-0.116532},{1.0285,0.43797}]->{<|pos->{0.496316,-0.0548369},foo->0|>}|>,Rectangle[{-1.44554,-0.116532},{0.203821,0.992471}]-><|Rectangle[{-0.62086,-0.116532},{0.203821,0.43797}]-><|Rectangle[{-0.20852,-0.116532},{0.203821,0.160719}]->{<|pos->{0.0416775,0.0817036},foo->0|>},Rectangle[{-0.62086,-0.116532},{-0.20852,0.160719}]->{<|pos->{-0.559806,-0.106714},foo->0|>}|>,Rectangle[{-1.44554,-0.116532},{-0.62086,0.43797}]->{<|pos->{-1.44554,-0.112904},foo->0|>}|>,Rectangle[{-1.44554,-1.22553},{0.203821,-0.116532}]-><|Rectangle[{-1.44554,-1.22553},{-0.62086,-0.671033}]-><|Rectangle[{-1.0332,-1.22553},{-0.62086,-0.948284}]-><|Rectangle[{-0.82703,-1.22553},{-0.62086,-1.08691}]-><|Rectangle[{-0.723945,-1.22553},{-0.62086,-1.15622}]->{<|pos->{-0.646667,-1.22553},foo->0|>},Rectangle[{-0.723945,-1.15622},{-0.62086,-1.08691}]->{<|pos->{-0.654308,-1.09372},foo->0|>}|>|>|>,Rectangle[{-0.62086,-1.22553},{0.203821,-0.671033}]->{<|pos->{-0.431171,-1.08481},foo->0|>},Rectangle[{-1.44554,-0.671033},{-0.62086,-0.116532}]->{<|pos->{-1.24569,-0.514815},foo->0|>}|>,Rectangle[{0.203821,-1.22553},{1.85318,-0.116532}]->{<|pos->{1.85318,-1.01392},foo->0|>}|>|>



• This is not a classical quad-tree in that GroupBy only generates keys depending on the values. For example, if a quadrant is empty, only 3 sub-notes will be generated.



• Additional services associated with such indexes such as lookup, insert, delete, are not addressed here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...