Skip to main content

list manipulation - How to store values indexed by integer partitions for fast access?


I have a huge list of values indexed by integer partitions. If I store them simply in a list, then, when I want to access the value corresponding to some particular integer partition, I have to find the index of the given partition in the list of all partitions before I can access the value. This is slow. Is there a way to optimize this?


In my particular example, I have values indexed by pairs of partitions of the same integers. The first 4 levels look like this:



chars = {
{{1}},
{{1, 1}, {-1, 1}}, {{1, 1, 1}, {-1, 0, 2}, {1, -1, 1}},
{{1, 1, 1, 1, 1}, {-1, 0, -1, 1, 3}, {0, -1, 2, 0, 2}, {1, 0, -1, -1, 3},
{-1, 1, 1, -1, 1}}
}

Then to access a particular value, I use this function:


maxn = 4;
YDs = Array[IntegerPartitions[#] &, maxn];


findChar[y1_, y2_] := Module[{l1, l2, n1, n2, i1, j1},
l1 = Length[y1];
l2 = Length[y2];
n1 = Sum[y1[[i]], {i, l1}];
n2 = Sum[y2[[i]], {i, l2}];
If[n1 != n2, Return["ERROR"];];
i1 = Position[YDs[[n1]], y1, Heads -> False][[1, 1]];
j1 = Position[YDs[[n2]], y2, Heads -> False][[1, 1]];
Return[chars[[n1, i1, j1]]];

];

This seems to be a pretty inefficient way, but I don't know how to do it more effectively in Mathematica.



Answer



Create a dispatch table of indexes. To illustrate, let's make over a million integer partitions to work with:


y = Flatten[Array[IntegerPartitions, 50], 1]; Length[y]


$1295970$




Associate each with an index via a Rule and optimize the subsequent rule replacements with a dispatch table:


table = Dispatch[Rule @@@ Transpose[{y, Range@Length@y}]];

(This precomputation takes $2.8$ seconds here.) To test its use, let's work out the indexes for a million randomly selected integer partitions:


x = RandomChoice[y, 10^6]; First@AbsoluteTiming@(x /. table)


$1.7851021$



In other words, it takes less than two microseconds on average to look up the index for any of these partitions. I hope this is fast enough for the intended application.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...