Skip to main content

data - Fitting multiple datasets to the same nonlinear model


Perhaps a rather simple question, but the suggested questions seem to all be covering something slightly different. What I have can be described as follows.


One takes a dataset, call it Data; it has dimensions 10 by 1000 by 2 lets say, which is to say it is 10 arrays of {x,y} data of length 1000.



Now I know the following about it: it behaves according to a model Model[x,a,b,c]. Moreover, all 10 arrays have the same a,bbut not the same cparameter. What I am interested in is how one does a NonLinearModelFit over such a dataset, fitting a,b,c1...c10 in a single go. I should note that I have an initial value array cinit of dimensions 10 as well.


One way I thought of that should in principle work is with KroneckerDelta; I could prepend each dataset with some coordinate that I could use in addition to x and then make a model with the deltafunctions, but this feels very sloppy. There should be an easy way, should there not?


I would post the full model and the data I am working with, but not only is it a big dataset, the parameters and the model are still very much undetermined. I think it would make the question rather offtopic as it is my job to figure out the parameters, not you. So I thought it would make sense to just stick to the concept.



Answer



Here is a crude way to do it. First the dataset id is appended to the 1000 x 10 x 2 data array. Then the function you have is modified to create a dummy variable vector and the dot product is used to select the parameter of interest: c1, c2, c3,...., or c10.


(* Number of different values of c *)
nc = 10;
(* Number of observations per dataset *)
n = 1000;


(* Create some data for a 1000 x 10 x 2 array *)
xx = Table[i/n, {i, n}];
data = Table[
Transpose[{xx,
5 + 2 xx + xx^2 + RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], n]}], {i, nc}];

(* Add in dataset number: 1 through nc *)
data2 = Flatten[
Table[{i, data[[i, j, 1]], data[[i, j, 2]]}, {i, nc}, {j, n}], 1];


model[x_, a_, b_, i_, c_] := Module[{d, j},
(* Create dummy variables *)
d = Table[If[j == i, 1, 0], {j, Length[c]}];
(* Determine function value *)
a + b x + (c.d) x^2];

nlm = NonlinearModelFit[data2,
model[x, a, b, z, nc, {c1, c2, c3, c4, c5, c6, c7, c8, c9, c10}],
{a, b, c1, c2, c3, c4, c5, c6, c7, c8, c9, c10}, {z, x}];
nlm["BestFitParameters"]

(* {a -> 4.99484, b -> 1.93603, c1 -> 1.18239, c2 -> 1.0829,
c3 -> 1.21282, c4 -> 1.06046, c5 -> 1.13936, c6 -> 1.07549,
c7 -> 1.01086, c8 -> 0.960816, c9 -> 0.979848, c10 -> 1.03909} *)

But note that I get a warning:



Experimental`NumericalFunction::dimsl: {x} given in {z,x} should be a list of dimensions for a particular argument.



Also, besides assuming common values for a and b , you are also assuming a common error variance. Residuals should be checked to see if there are any departures from that assumption or if a more complex error structure is warranted.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...