Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Finding volume of a segment


I'm still pretty new to Mathematica, so I would like to seek advice regarding a geometrical problem.


I am currently trying to define that as an extra condition in the Mathematica code below.


  reg = ImplicitRegion[x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 <= 1 {z, y, x}];
Volume[reg, Assumptions -> a > 0 && b > 0 && c > 0]

Any one has any idea how to incorporate it into the extra conditions in defining the implicit region?




Answer



Let you have a vector ${\bf p}$, which is perpendicular to the plane and an ellipsoid with axes $(a,b,c)$. The illustration (2D for simplicity):


enter image description here


Mathematica can calculate the numeric value of the clipped volume easily


Nvolume[p_, abc_] := Volume[RegionIntersection[
ImplicitRegion[{x, y, z}.N[p] > 0, {x, y, z}],
Ellipsoid[N[abc] {1, 0, 0}, N[abc]]]]

p = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, 3];
abc = RandomReal[{1, 2}, 3];


Nvolume[p, abc]
(* 16.2584 *)

Mathematica cannot derive the general formula, but it isn't difficult to derive manually. Let us introduce new coordinates


$$ x' = x/a, \quad y' = y/b, \quad z' = z/c. $$


In these coordinates the ellipsoid becomes the unit ball


enter image description here


The Jacobian of this transformation is $J=abc$. In the new coordinates the normalized perpendicular vector is


$$ {\bf n} = \frac{(ap_x,bp_y,cp_z)}{\sqrt{a^2p_x^2+b^2p_y^2+c^2p_z^2}}. $$



Now it is simple to integrate the volume along the axis $\xi$ because the cross section is a circle


$$ V=abc\int_{-n_x}^1\pi(1-\xi^2)d\xi = \pi abc \left(\frac{2}{3} + n_x - \frac{n_x^3}{3}\right) $$


volume[p_, abc_] := π Times @@ abc (2/3 + # - #^3/3) &@@ Normalize[abc p]

volume[p, abc]
(* 16.2584 *)

The result is the same.




Update: OP asks also about the area of the intersection. It is also an interesting question.



Mathematica region functionality is very powerful for numerical computations:


Narea[p_, abc_] := Area[RegionIntersection[ImplicitRegion[{x, y, z}.N[p] == 0, {x, y, z}], 
Ellipsoid[N[abc] {1, 0, 0}, N[abc]]]]

Narea[p, abc]
(* 6.20243 *)

The analytic formula can be derived using the Dirac $\delta$-function
\begin{multline} A = \int_\text{ellipse} \delta \left({\bf r}\cdot\frac{{\bf p}}{p}\right)d{\bf r} = abcp \int_\text{unit ball} \delta \left(x'ap_x+y'bp_y+z'cp_z\right)d{\bf r}' = \\ \frac{abcp}{\sqrt{a^2p_x^2+b^2p_y^2+c^2p_z^2}}\int_\text{unit ball} \delta \left({\bf r}'\cdot{\bf n}\right)d{\bf r}'. \end{multline} It is the cross section of the unit ball. Hence \begin{equation} A = \frac{\pi abcp (1-n_x^2)}{\sqrt{a^2p_x^2+b^2p_y^2+c^2p_z^2}}. \end{equation}


area[p_, abc_] := π Times @@ abc (1 - #^2) & @@ Normalize[abc p] Norm[p]/Norm[abc p];


area[p, abc]
(* 6.20243 *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...